Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

German WW2 Y straps seized at customs

Article about: Hey guys! Australian customs have placed my German Y straps into quarantine because they deem them to be "used horse accessory"! I realise that customs have an important job to do,

Default Re: German WW2 Y straps seized at customs

Its amazing you guys down under get anything at all with so many rules...but Y straps?......help me out here as i dont understand this..but why would something made of leather be held back in customs? I am not saying this sarcastically..but I just dont understand these things sometimes on the most simplest of items
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

During the time of the 'Arab Spring' in Libya I had a general assault badge held by customs here in Qatar for over 4 months! In the end I had to visit the state security ministry and write a letter to the Security Minister himself to get it released. I suspect it must have been flagged as military equipment or somesuch. Nevr underestimate the blind stupidity of people trying to justify their jobs!

Larry, It was held up in customs because they thought it was "animal equipment, used horse accessory". I can only assume that they thought it was a bridle. Anyway, I understand they have an extremely important job, and mistakes will happen. All's well that ends well!

Larry-Australia is an island and we have been lucky to keep out many pests and diseases but this requires constant vigilance about what gets into the country and under what circumstances-for example there is no rabies or foot & mouth disease here-'used horse equipment' would fall into that sort of category if it wasn't declared correctly.

lost for words.

?

I am quite sure that ALL countries have an IQ requirement of 50 to 70 for customs agents. No exceptions.

Maybe I'm just dense in my elder age...but why on Earth would a set of military Y straps be seen as a "used horse accessory" ?? If it hadn't caused such a problem, it would have been hilarious....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Maybe I'm just dense in my elder age...but why on Earth would a set of military Y straps be seen as a "used horse accessory" ?? If it hadn't caused such a problem, it would have been hilarious....
    Ignorance William, They didn't know what the item was and made an incorrect assumption re it's origins.
    Lithgow hit it on the head with his explanation as Customs thought the harness was a horse bridle.
    Good to see it worked out OK Mark.

All the best
    Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll keep you guys updated. Hopefully see them early next week

Next time just wear them like an accessory with some Western clothing! NH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast