Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Going to Berlin

Article about: Guys im thinking of going to berlin for a few days and looking up the remaining sites of ww2 ect.have anyof you been there and are there regular tours in berlin to the ww2 sites.any other in

Default Going to Berlin

Guys im thinking of going to berlin for a few days and looking up the remaining sites of ww2 ect.have anyof you been there and are there regular tours in berlin to the ww2 sites.any other info or berlin travel tips would be welcome!!

Default Re: Going to Berlin

Closest I ever got was the east west german border near fulda germany, that was when the wall was still up back in the early 80's. I often dream of seeing that area from the other side of the fence. I hope you enjoy your trip, I imagine you won't have any trouble finding all sorts of interesting places.

Mike

Found this

Third Reich Berlin: Hitler & WWII ? The final days - Insider Tours

I'm sure there are others.

Last time I was in Berlin, there was a big wall in the middle !

Have a good trip.

Richie

Las Vegas, I've been there 3 times, first time I was in the 60's and the wall was up, but I've been back in 98 and 04. There are many WWll sites scattered around the city. There are many tours that mainly hit tourist points, not necessarily WWll. Ask someone from the hotel you're staying at, they should be able to steer you in the right direction. I've heard about a group there called "Berlin
    Underground", haven't been on one but they do tours of Berlin bunkers. I've seen it online so check there. Do not miss the Flak Tower by the Berlin Zoo. When you are looking at the Brandenberg Gate from the old West Berlin about 150yds. to the right and 50-100 yds ahead is where the infamous bunker is, it is under a parking lot surrounded by apartment buildings. Last time I was there in that general area were many buildings pock marked from battles. Make sure to leave time for an open air Flea Market, by the Tiergarden. It's only on Sat or Sun (I forget which one), Many interesting items offered for sale. As Nazi memrobelia is illegal you have to ask QUIETLY for WWll items as they are usually kept under the table and out of sight. You'll be surprised with what you'll see for sale. Once again check with the hotel you're staying at, it's a very big Flea Market and everyone knows about it. No matter what you'll enjoy the trip, history is on every corner. Forgot to mention, if you can check out the old American Barracks, it was called Andrews Barracks, it was the old SS Leibstandarte HQ's and is still largely intact although it is now an archeive repository for the German Gov. If you go have a great time, if you have a specific question let me know. John Attached some pis of Andrews.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by LAS VEGAS View Post
    Guys im thinking of going to berlin for a few days and looking up the remaining sites of ww2 ect.have anyof you been there and are there regular tours in berlin to the ww2 sites.any other info or berlin travel tips would be welcome!!
    Just do it, it's a fantastic city! We went there unplanned {long story!} in 2004; we are now 15 trips on from then, though I doubt that we will be going this year unfortunately. Loads to see and do, food and drink is the best. A lot of WW2 locations still exist, and mainly in the former East side, still a lot of battle scars, although in the years that we have been going to Berlin, these scars are rapidly being repaired! Try a visit to the Humboldthain flak tower, Humboldthain park in Gesundbrunnen. You can have a guided group tour of the ruin, but English speaking tours are only occasionally done. Info at Berliner Unterwelten e.V. | Tour 2

Should have mentioned that before you go get "Berlin Then And Now" by Tony LeTissier. Its almost a must read if you're going to get the most out of your trip. Either buy it or rent from your library, great pic from before, during and after the war. It also gives you the exact location of the pics taken. Enjoy your trip, I'll be going again within the next 2 yrs. John

There are loads of things to do and see in Berlin, so you will need to book a long holiday, and be prepared to do a lot of walking to see the sites. Public transport is very, very good, but we found it is best to walk, we always end up finding something unexpected. You will see many plaques, statues and information points scattered around the city. Some air raid bunkers still remain, being used for things like a museum and an art gallery. As I said before, the battle scars are now being repaired and covered up rather quickly.

And after your long walk, make sure to pay a visit to Treffpunkt Berlin, Alt-Berliner Kneipe {pub}, Mittelstraße 55, just off Friedrichstraße. Great food and drink, nice and cosy.

A genuine thankyou to all you guys for taking the trouble to answer and put up pics .im even more exited at the thought of going to berlin.facinating to see the liebstandarte barracks still standing.apparently under the two thick pilars at the gates is encased the at least 24 ft high stone ss soldiers with helmet and mauser rifles?i have a picture of the barracks and the stone soldiers as allied generals are looking over the damaged barracks in 45.

You will see battledamage troughout the whole of Berlin. I went there 2 years ago and we went to the "holocaust mahnmal" it's quite impressive there are a lot of concrete blocks and in the middle of it there is a room you can visit. It's for free and really interesting. You could go to "checkpoint Charlie" but that's DDR related.

cheers,

You MUST visit Karlshorst where the surrender was signed on May 9th 1945. It is a museum with lots of good items on display. I visited in 2005.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast