Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Going to Krakow, Poland next year...

Article about: I recently found out that our class is going to Krakow, Poland next April. We will spend 1 day at Auschwitz, but we will also have some spare time, so I was wondering what there is to see in

Default Going to Krakow, Poland next year...

I recently found out that our class is going to Krakow, Poland next April. We will spend 1 day at Auschwitz, but we will also have some spare time, so I was wondering what there is to see in Krakow.
    Militaria/antiques shops, museums etc.

Thank you for your time.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Default Re: Going to Krakow, Poland next year...

I went there last month and also went to Auschwitz. I meant to start a thread like this prior to, asking about militaria shops, but I forgot! I wish I did, as I found none! Regardless, it was a great trip, I really enjoyed it. As many will tell you, Krakow is a really interesting city to explore- I could walk around there taking pictures forever. One interesting place I visited was an exhibition (at the main square of the city) of artwork confiscated by the Nazis and labelled as 'Degenerate'. As an art student, that was especially insightful. Unfortunately, I think it may likely have ended by the time you visit, though I'm not sure.

EDIT: It seems it ends in January (on my Birthday!)... sorry!

Mat
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

I went here,

no museum or anythign like that, its now just a disused quarry, however the electric fence is still in place, and this is where schindlers list was based/filmed at times

Kraków-P

if you go to auchwitz make sure you go to camp 1 & 2 . also in Krakow town there is a monument with large chairs in the jewish ghetto, its an amazing place, i went last month and cannot wait to go back! the food is lovely and so is the beer !

This place looks intresting as posted by member Frieland

Gestapo HQ Museum. Krakow, Poland.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Got some more information about the trip today, we arrive in Krakow at 11:30, 23.April, and we leave 12:05, 26.April. 23 April we will have a guided trip through the old town and we might have a lot of time off then. 24 April, we will visit the salt-mines, I think we end at about 13:00 and we will have a couple hours in the centre of town before we go back to the hotel. 25 April(The big day): A visit to Schindler's factory/museum, then through the Jew-Ghetto and then Auschwitz. Not quite sure when we are through, but I am looking forward to it a lot.

Any other places I should visit ?(I would love addresses too ).
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

North of my father's village of Niedzieliska is the large town of Szczurowa. During the war 93 peoples of Romani descent were massacred there. It was called the massacre in Szczurowa. A marker was placed in the cementary ( where they were executed), in memory of those killed. To my understanding, it was the first memorial decorated to the Romani Holocuast- something worthy of seeing when in the area. Though small, it represents a huge chapter in Polish history. Unfortunately, the town's about a hour away to the East. Well, another great thing about the location- traveling South to the small village of Okocim, youll find the Okocim Brewery. Great place to have a beer!

-Artur

Sorry, forgot you were 17!

?

Krakow is a nice city CWW2, you'll enjoy it there. Your driver best be sharpish on the 25th though...that's a lot to get through in just one day. Enjoy your trip anyway.

Cheers,

Carl

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it.

Oh, and this is a school trip, so I don't think I will have the opportunity to travel so far. But hopefully there will be a lot to see in center of town.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

?

you will have a great time krakow is a lovely place ,i did find one militaria shop just back a couple of streets from main square, rgds Dave