Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Gone fishing

Article about: Thanks Mark, the cameras been playing up a bit lately but I'll get photos somehow! I'm sure I'll get you over here for a fishing trip sometime mate!

?

Default Re: Gone fishing

Did you catch any of these ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Great pics Dave - looks like you guys had a blast.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Taking our 6.5m hardtop out today for a test run. Islands will be on next week!

Quote by DioMac View Post
    Taking our 6.5m hardtop out today for a test run. Islands will be on next week!
    Have you ever been out to Beacon Island mate? I've been hanging to get out there just to walk around that little island and soak up the atmosphere of what happened in1629. I've been on West Wallabie but haven't been able to get to Beacon.

?

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Have you ever been out to Beacon Island mate? I've been hanging to get out there just to walk around that little island and soak up the atmosphere of what happened in1629. I've been on West Wallabie but haven't been able to get to Beacon.
    Nope, not yet. Slept in the old guano mine site office, on Pelsart last time I was there. Maybe this time. I think it would be an eerie experience though. Some truly hideous shite went down there.

Speaking of wrecks, have a look at these shots of the SS Windsor - heaps of stuff there to dive on if one could score a perfect day.

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    The incident Dave refers to in 1629 interested me so I had a mooch around and found this:

The 1629 Mass Grave for Batavia Victims, Beacon Island, Houtman Abrolhos Islands, Western Australia | Alistair Paterson - Academia.edu

Talk about man's inhumanity to man....Tragic.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Sorry Ned, I should have mentioned what I was referring to. The story of the Batavia is another of my interests, I've been fascinated by that story since I was a kid. I've been out to the Abrolhos Islands but unfortunately have never been lucky enough to set foot on Beacon Island (formerly known as Batavias Graveyard) I did a maritime archaeology course many years ago at the Fremantle maritime museum because I was so interested in that particular story and the Dutch East India Company wrecks in general that lie along the Western Australian coast.

?

Thanks for the link Ned. Sounds "Lord of the flies" on steroids. A Grim story indeed.

Regards, Lars

?

Ned and Datrus, it was terrible and brutal beyond comprehension. Evil stuff. One of the heroes was a soldier names Wiebbe Hayes, who now has a statue as a monument to him here in town (I actually walked past him just yesterday ).

44383909.jpg

Other wrecks of interest are the Zeewijk Zeewijk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia And the still missing Aagtekerke. Who knows what else is still out at the Abrolhos, and who knows how many ships were lost in the vast stretch of ocean between the Cape and the WA coast. The Dutch were coming this way for a long time.

The mystery of the Zuytdorp, which crashed into huge cliffs not far from where Sandgroper was fising is very intriguing. I'd highly recommend having a watch of this video about it here Wreck of the Zuytdorp | Western Australian Museum - I attended this in person last year.

Hi fella's , you would not believe it ,I went fishing on the coast of the desolate north sea here in England and actually caught a half decent 3lb Cod!! The wife's now about to poach some of it in the oven. Leon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast