Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Great Dictator - Charlie Chaplin.

Article about: This has got to be one of my all time favourite films. From the slapstick comedy to the darker elements such as the Jewish Ghetto and the brilliant satire of facism to the famous speech at t

?

Default The Great Dictator - Charlie Chaplin.

This has got to be one of my all time favourite films. From the slapstick comedy to the darker elements such as the Jewish Ghetto and the brilliant satire of facism to the famous speech at the end.

Bearing in mind it was made in 1940, the then up to date observation of world events and the rise of the Third Reich being combined with anti semitism and still producing a film which looks at these areas while managing to be genuinely funny is nothing short of genius.

If you haven't seen the film, like history and a laugh as well as wanting to see the serious point Chaplin was making, then please go and watch it.

Chaplin plays two parts in the film. A Jewish barber - veteran of the First World War wanting a peaceful life and due to loss of memory sustained in battle has no idea of the events which have taken over his country - Tomania - while he was in hospital. He is released and returns to his home and business, now located in the Ghetto in the hope of resuming his peaceful existance.

The other part Chaplin plays is Adenoid Hynkel - Dictator of Tomania, a direct send up of Hitler, consumed with ambitions of world dominance under the sign of the Double Cross.
    He also manages to get in a visit from Napaloni, the Dictator of Bacteria which is entirely based upon the relationship between Hitler and Mussolini. There are several parodies of high ranking Third Reich party members, Goering and Goebbels who are called Herring and Garbitsch respectively

A genuinely brilliant film based around political satire and a very famous speech at the end which was almost ahead of it's time and also very relevant today.

Great Dictator closing speech.

The Great Dictator 1940 Trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: The Great Dictator - Charlie Chaplin.

Funny stuff Adrian - No one could have played the part of 'Hynkel' any better.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Brilliant film, which I must watch again as its been many years since last I did so.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Ah, my Great Grandfather!

IMG_5014.jpg

I know of the film, but I have never seen it. Does anyone know of a link where I can watch it?

Oh god... I love google/ youtube!

?

If you look for the trailer on YouTube some have links to where you can watch the whole film.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

A true classic film. I have not seen it for years.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Agreed. A great film, a timeless classic and in my opinion still the best Nazi satire. Chaplin's speeches in pseudo-German are pure genius.

interestingly, a print of the film procured from foreign sources was screened twice in the Reichs Chancellery, although it is not known whether Hitler himself actually saw it... Gives me the mental image of everyone else present trying desperately not to laugh out loud. (You know, like the Roman guards in that scene from Life of Brian.)

Here's a montage someone created with the speech on youtube that is incredible
    ONE OF THE GREATEST POSTS ON YOUTUBE SO FAR! - YouTube

?

Just watched the end speech, great message, it should be replayed daily today for our political leaders here, and abroad and it wouldn't hurt for the Middle Eastern governments (tongue in cheek) to hear either.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Agreed. A great film, a timeless classic and in my opinion still the best Nazi satire. Chaplin's speeches in pseudo-German are pure genius.

interestingly, a print of the film procured from foreign sources was screened twice in the Reichs Chancellery, although it is not known whether Hitler himself actually saw it... Gives me the mental image of everyone else present trying desperately not to laugh out loud. (You know, like the Roman guards in that scene from Life of Brian.)
    I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy. Anybody else feel like a little... giggle... when I mention my fwiend... Biggus......Dickus....???

Bonus point: What was his wife's name?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast