Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Great uncles pigsticker!

Article about: Hello all, I'm a little bit down this evening I'm afraid!! My great uncle Joe - who is a D-Day veteran, and former Sherman tank gunner - recently told me that he'd buried his WW2 pigsticker

Default Re: Great uncles pigsticker!

Quote by WoodyUK View Post
    Another bit of interesting info in case you didn't know.

Spike bayonets were banned by Geneva after the war! Reason being is, when the victim was speared, and the attacker withdrew his bayonet, the suction closed the wound, and the victim would take hours to die in horrorendous pain!

That's why modern bayonets, and some WW2 bayonets (such as the k98 bayonet) have a groove either side of the blade. This make it easier to pull out of the human body, but also it leaves an open wound!

Nice eh!
    Grisley!

In the words of Corporal Jones "they dont like it up 'em" !

Good luck

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

I knew they banned the cruciform variant of the Mk4 ....thus making them a rare item to find ...
    Didn't realise they also banned the standard Mk4 !

Gary J.

[QUOTE=WoodyUK;76840]Another bit of interesting info in case you didn't know.

Spike bayonets were banned by Geneva after the war! Reason being is, when the victim was speared, and the attacker withdrew his bayonet, the suction closed the wound, and the victim would take hours to die in horrorendous pain!

Quote by WoodyUK View Post
    Another bit of interesting info in case you didn't know.

That's why modern bayonets, and some WW2 bayonets (such as the k98 bayonet) have a groove either side of the blade. This make it easier to pull out of the human body, but also it leaves an open wound!

Nice eh!

WOODY YOU JUST MADE ME SMILE MATE DONT KNOW ABOUT NICE BUT WOULD BE SORE THANKS FOR THAT BIT OF INFO MATE I NEVER KNEW THAT I HAVE SOME COPIES OF 19TH CENTURY SPIKED BAYONETS COULD THESE BE ILLEGAL IN THE UK THEY WERE NOT UK BOUGHT WHO CARES ANYWAY

Quote by Polski44 View Post
    I knew they banned the cruciform variant of the Mk4 ....thus making them a rare item to find ...
    Didn't realise they also banned the standard Mk4 !

Gary J.
    All variants of spike bayonets were banned mate!

It only struck me yesterday that Uncle Joe's pig sticker could be a rare Sten version!

He was the gunner in the Sherman tanks, so obviously he wouldn't of carried a rifle! In actual fact, he didn't even use a Sten, instead he used an American Thompson M1A1. But why did he have a spike bayonet? One can only presume it was a Sten pig sticker!

I'm afraid it'll remain a mystery until I find it!

This is my Great Uncle Joe.
    Gunner J. Woodward 1135851

Quote by ES View Post
    I HAVE SOME COPIES OF 19TH CENTURY SPIKED BAYONETS COULD THESE BE ILLEGAL IN THE UK THEY WERE NOT UK BOUGHT WHO CARES ANYWAY
    Nar, you'll be fine mate! It's not a problem keeping them as collectables, but I reckon Geneva would get a bit cheesed off if you sellotaped one to a broom handle and charged at the postman with it!

now iam laughing sten eah? intresting keep us posted mate

Brindlereo
    ?

looks a little like Rhett Butler.

"Frankly Scarlet dear, I buried the pigsticker in the garden, but I dont give a damn"

LOL

Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2