Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 144 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Guess the picture quiz!

Article about: The so called "V-3". Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Guess the picture quiz!

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    It is a British MK.VI that was destroyed during the counterattack on Galatas, Crete, on May 25th, 1941. The commander was Lieutenant Roy Farran of the 7th Royal Tank Regiment.
    Oh, it was Roy Farran's tank? He was a very interesting character, and a major figure here in Calgary, where he lived until his death in 2006.

Rob

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    I know what this is I knew I had seen those 3 little holes before. It's from a pigeon guided missile isn't it? I don't remember how it worked exactly but they peck at those things in the nose that guide it to the target. I'm amazed it wasn't a British invention, seems typically mad for us to think up
    You got it!

Taken from Wikipedia:

"The control system involved a lens at the front of the missile projecting an image of the target to a screen inside, while a pigeon trained (by operant conditioning) to recognize the target pecked at it. As long as the pecks remained in the center of the screen, the missile would fly straight, but pecks off-center would cause the screen to tilt, which would then, via a connection to the missile's flight controls, cause the missile to change course."

B. F. Skinner started the project, and he actually had some success, but the military never really took it seriously. From 1948 to 1953 the Navy revived it as 'Project Orcon'.

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Oh, it was Roy Farran's tank? He was a very interesting character, and a major figure here in Calgary, where he lived until his death in 2006.

Rob
    It was the other tank, of the two under the command of Roy Farran, that supported the NZ div in their attack.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Right, back from dinner and appropriately drunk, I begin my search for a cryptic image for you gentlemen to feast your sensory apparatus upon. I will return presently.

And I have just finished Antony Beevor's Crete book, were these tanks the one's that counter attacked at the airfield? Fantastic little chapter in the war. A shame the British troops were so badly disposed, we could have probably defended the island successfully with what was available.

Right, back from dinner and appropriately drunk, I begin my search for a cryptic image for you gentlemen to feast your sensory apparatus upon. I will return presently.

And I have just finished Antony Beevor's Crete book, were these tanks the one's that counter attacked at the airfield? Fantastic little chapter in the war. A shame the British troops were so badly disposed, we could have probably defended the island successfully with what was available.
    Crete was a bit of a mess. My uncle was there with the 1st Welch Regt, he was captured and spent the rst of the war as a PoW.

Rob

OK. This chap has a couple of interesting pieces of information attached to him. Who is he and what are they? I left his shoulders in the pic for some clues .

newpic3.jpg

OK. This chap has a couple of interesting pieces of information attached to him. Who is he and what are they? I left his shoulders in the pic for some clues .

newpic3.jpg
    Is that Lt-Gen Pickett?

Rob

I am afraid not Rob, correct rank though.

Lt, gen Lesley J. McNair

McNair; just like Frank Maxwell Andrews and Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr., all lieutenant generals at the time of their deaths.
    And being the highest-ranking Americans to be killed in World War 2.
    |<
    ps thanks franz1944!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 18 of 144 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 118 ... LastLast