Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 45 of 144 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 95 ... LastLast

Guess the picture quiz!

Article about: The so called "V-3". Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Guess the picture quiz!

Looks like a FW 187

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

I think Nick has it

Nice one Nick you got it! It's a Focke-Wulf FW 187 A-O Falke (Falcon). There were less than 10 manufactured prototypes of this heavy fighter as the RLM deemed it unnecessary as the Bf 110 and Bf 109 could do the same job, and more cheaply. This was erroneous as the 187 was faster in the dive, faster climbing to altitude, and had the capacity to fly twice as far as the 109.

The Focke-Wulf factory retained 3 of these aircraft as factory defence fighters at there facility in Bremen. They were scrambled several times to intercept daylight raids, but reports of claims for shooting down allied aircraft have never been substanciated.

Over to you Nick!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ok, staying on the aviation theme, what aircraft is this ?

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    Ok, staying on the aviation theme, what aircraft is this ?

Nick
    It's a RAAF Avro Lincoln Mk. 30/31. The lack of a dorsal turret shows it's a Maritime Recon version, so is probably 10 Sqn. RAAF.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Avro Manchester III variant ?

Its a Lincoln ! Well done Ned, passing the baton back to you mate

Nick

?

Of course it is, I couldnt think of the bloody name, and ive got the specs on it as well among some ref material, Im getting old, brains losing too many cells

Quote by davejb View Post
    Of course it is, I couldnt think of the bloody name, and ive got the specs on it as well among some ref material, Im getting old, brains losing too many cells
    I've actually worked on maintaining one of these at RAF Cosford for several years a while back, so it was easier for me Dave!!

Moving on, what type of 'vehicle' is this, and which country used it in WW2?

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote by big ned View Post
    It's a RAAF Avro Lincoln Mk. 30/31. The lack of a dorsal turret shows it's a Maritime Recon version, so is probably 10 Sqn. RAAF.

Regards, Ned.
    The South African Air Force were still using a Maritime Recon version of the Lincoln up until the 1980's I believe.
    10 Sqd. RAAF operated the mk30-31 until June 1961 when corrosion problems in the wing spars grounded them
    I must get out of bed earlier
    Cheers guys

Page 45 of 144 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 95 ... LastLast