Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Guns in the U.K.

Article about: Hi Ian, We will make up a section soon lol Engineers are always welcome mate Dave.

Hi,
    Thank you, i am hoping in the morning if all goes well to collect an 1851 Navy Colt that iv been after for a while, (fingers crossed) i have a fews handguns all obsolete calibre so would like to get hold of some more of the older stuff.
    Dave.

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you, i am hoping in the morning if all goes well to collect an 1851 Navy Colt that iv been after for a while, (fingers crossed) i have a fews handguns all obsolete calibre so would like to get hold of some more of the older stuff.
    Dave.
    The obsolete calibre handguns are a great collecting theme and 19th century Colts are one of the best, there is the added bonus that they are not constrained by the deactivation rules and can be appreciated in their original configuration.........not cheap though I understand.

As an ex-squaddie, I would take issue with Lugerlout over using old military weapons as they were intended. They were only built with one purpose in mind.

On the other hand, they can be quite good fun on the ranges!

I lost my interest in shooting years ago - and I too only bother with deactivated weapons. The main problem in collecting deactivated guns is that they can lead to a sloppy approach to weapon safety by those who have handled nothing else but deactivated guns. If they then progress to live weapons they tend to handle those in the same care-free fashion. Before anyone takes umbrage, I am not in any way implying this refers to all collectors, because I am not. But some of the things I have seen done at public displays by re-enactors has been quite alarming.

I once saw a re-enactor cock a deactivated M1 carbine and he left the action and bolt to the rear. He then proceeded to hand it to a young child to inspect. he obviously didn't see the danger, but I did - and I snatched the gun away before anyone lost a finger.

Thanks Harry.............yes point taken, perhaps I should have qualified that statement buy saying that I would not condone using old military firearms for their intended purpose but only for range use when shooting at paper targets...........wow, do hope I dodged that bullet...........

Hi,
    As we have both used a good few military weapons in our day i fully understand where you are coming from and yes you are right some no nothing of the right way to treat weapons. I have seen it myself,
    i gave up shooting as you did i think sometimes you can have to much of a good thing but i do go to the range when invited. How is the book doing great i hope,
    Dave.

Even squaddies can't be trusted with firearms. One of my mates put a 7.62 through his foot when he came in our accommodation block to see if I was up and ready to relieve him on guard. he was stood right next to me when he pulled the trigger. I thought I'd been shot. Another lad put one through his foot after coming out of Andersonstown RUC station. Never trust a Gunner with a rifle!

Only just seen your post Dave. So I'm adding more to this. First book is selling well. I finished the second book the other day. Over 92,000 words - 277 pages. it should be around 300 by the time the photos are added. My former BC - and now a retired Brigadier, has given me some inside information over things I never knew about or even thought about. Apparently we faced around 70 active Provo's and a few Official IRA gunmen. Then there was the youth wing of the IRA and almost all the population of Andersonstown which covered an area which was one mile by two miles. There were 110 of us against that lot. And there were 425 shootings, bombings and riots in four months. Scary or what???

Apologies to Lugerlout, I'm not hi-jacking your thread!

Hi,
    Accidental discharge is a bummer at the best of times but standing right next to you i would have S--t myself in thinking he got me lol.
    Dave.

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi,
    Accidental discharge is a bummer at the best of times but standing right next to you i would have S--t myself in thinking he got me lol.
    Dave.
    I've edited my previous post Dave. A bit of info on the book.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Default Guns in the UK

Here's one for Lugerlout...

We needed to be told when we could fire...

Mixed lot_0010.jpg

Thats OK Harry.....but keep it on thread if you can mate.......I have a very similar 'Rules of Engagement' type card from my service, Belize, Falkland Islands and for U.K. during the seventies, I will dig them out and post in a relevant forum as they do make interesting reading so many years after.......by the way do you have a copy of 'Survive To fight' by any chance.........everyone should.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast