Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Hanks and Spielberg Next WWII Project - Eighth Air Force Mini-series

Article about: Should be interesting. I was an army brat in Germany, we lived just down the road from Schweinfurt. In fact, my Junior High School was in Schweinfurt, down the road from Ledward barracks. Le

Default Re: Hanks and Spielberg Next WWII Project - Eighth Air Force Mini-series

Should be interesting. I was an army brat in Germany, we lived just down the road from Schweinfurt. In fact, my Junior High School was in Schweinfurt, down the road from Ledward barracks. Ledward Barracks was also bombed by the 8th Air Force, one of the barrack buildings was gone leaving a vacant lot between the other barrack buildings. At the time you could also see mounds left from where the 88mm gun emplacements were. This was back in the 1970s. I still recall my dad driving me down to the river harbor area to show me the bomb damage that still remained. Down the road from school, in fact I could see it from my English classroom (hello Ms. Steffens, should you be reading this!), was Conn barracks. It was a Luftwaffe airstrip used in the defense of the Reich against allied bombing raids. Even better, Leighton Barracks in Wurzburg, where we would go shopping, was another Luftwaffe airbase. The PX was one of the hangers and the airstrip where the M109s and FWs would take off from was still there, complete with the side parking ramps. So was the control tower. We also visited a German radar site near, at the time, the East German border, it was mostly torn down but still had the base for the Wurzburg radar dish. Another Luftwaffe site had a series of bomb craters on the summit (Wasserkuppe site) from allied bombings. Used to play hide and seek in them! So, from an early age I was aware of the US bombing missions over Germany and saw plenty of history during our European assignment.
    Last edited by Alexander; 01-20-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Default Re: Hanks and Spielberg Next WWII Project - Eighth Air Force Mini-series

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    How about keep it simple, and do us Brits a favour, a remake of Dads Army !!!! with full Speilberg backing !! haha
    A female Captain Mainwaring in the Dad's Army remake? It may be time to panic - Comment - Voices - The Independent
    No no no no no no no no!....

It would be nice for someone to do one on the Brits. I always like the Story of when Guy Gibson visited America on a 'lecture tour'. He was asked by a young lady:

`Wing Commander Gibson, how many operations have you been on over Germany?'

'One hundred and seventy-four.'

There was a stunned silence.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4