Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Helmet stands ?

Article about: Not sure how much they cost new, ... but I picked this one up in an "antiques" centre for £7.00 GBP Gary J. by Zeller very nice glass head! Are they expensive?

?

Default Re: Helmet stands ?

Not sure how much they cost new, ... but I picked this one up in an "antiques" centre for £7.00 GBP

Gary J.

Quote by Zeller View Post
    very nice glass head! Are they expensive?

Quote by stuka f View Post
    They can be made in a transparant resin!
    I am working on original 1930's display mannequin's heads at the momment.
    Hello stuka f,
    Can you let me know how you make these display heads, and the availability/cost of the materials required? They certainly look good. I have little experience of using resin or glassfibre, I'm still working with wood, metal, and solder, must be getting old!
    Will be gratefull for any advice,
    Best regards,
    Guy.

hello navyman,

The best advice I can give you is to read some books about it...and then you'll know how NOT to do it.
    Thise is what I learned over the years.
    I was looking for those books ,because someone else asked me over a PM about it, but the shelf is empty! I must have lent them to somebody and never got them back. There where 3 or 4 books, all totaly different , even different languages , but I can not recall them. Not a great loss, as they where miss...to me!
    Every job is different, and needs some different approches. There are things like gravity , air and so many other factors you need to take in consideration, when working with those products. Even the way of thinking needs to be adjusted...you need to be thinking back-worts...Very difficult to explain for me as I am not that good with words.
    I will try to make pictures of the different steps, while making those heads.
    Just already have a look here;
    Sand casting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    a good forum about it is;
    The Steampunk Forum
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Thanks stuka f,
    I look forward to seeing your pictures.
    Best regards,
    Guy.

Here is how it as have to be made by the book.
    Vidéo "comment faire un moule " de cofiz75 (Arts & Talents > Sculpture) - wat.tv
    But I make my primary form (the fexible one ) in one piece with a part that functions like an enveloppe (!!very difficult to explain!!) and my second forme in more than 2 pieces, depending on the out-cut (mainly the ears)
    In the next film they show a very usefull object, don't know the name , that red thing he is handling to check the smootness of his board. It is showed at 04.25" in the film.
    Vidéo "comment faire un moule " de cofiz75 (Arts & Talents > Sculpture) - wat.tv

cheers
    |<ris

Here is a head with a socle, but they can be provided to fit on a dummy,like they where ment to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

cheers
    |<ris

Hello again Stuka,
    Thank you for showing the video about mould making, (I like the music very much as well). It's a pity I don't still work in a museum, when I did, some years ago they had all the facilities for making moulds, but at the time I had no need to use them. I will still appreciate any more information on this subject if anyone can help?
    Many thanks,
    navyman.

Quote by navyman View Post
    Hello again Stuka,
    Thank you for showing the video about mould making, (I like the music very much as well). It's a pity I don't still work in a museum, when I did, some years ago they had all the facilities for making moulds, but at the time I had no need to use them. I will still appreciate any more information on this subject if anyone can help?
    Many thanks,
    navyman.
    I am making a step by step foto report on the making of the heads I have showed. I hope ,that might help.
    I will show them when finished.
    One thing I can all ready shear is thise; oridaniry silicone as we know in tubes sold at every DIY shop, mixt with wite spirit (1/1) can give you a texture to work with! Not for very detailed items and not for very much copy's, but it can help in the procedee of learning. The major reason is the cost!!
    The silicone I use is rather expensive, but full -fills all other purposes you would expect of a fexible mould.
    Every one as to seek his own method of working, I am shure you will find yours. Look at the video's I send you, over and over again, and try what they explain. Look at the way I work and try to find what is best for you.
    I am going for a drink now and will get back at you asap!
    Cheers
    kris

cheers
    |<ris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2