Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmets of the Home Front - New Book

Article about: We're launching our new book at this years War and Peace Show (UK)....and incidentally, now taking orders (well, it'd be foolish to miss a Sales opportunity! :-) ) It is a BIG book with 362

Default Helmets of the Home Front - New Book

We're launching our new book at this years War and Peace Show (UK)....and incidentally, now taking orders (well, it'd be foolish to miss a Sales opportunity! :-)
    )

It is a BIG book with 362 full colour pages and includes over 1,000 different British helmet markings so please don’t expect one-helmet-per-page! The aim of the book is to provide an introduction to the myriad of markings (lettering and “ranks”) applied to the helmets of the brave civilians who went about their business during the intense attacks on Britain during the war years. It has sections on the helmets themselves, including the “Zuckerman” and commercial variants as well as attachments such Gas Curtains, lamps and carriers. However the main focus is the markings applied, the rules which governed them and the changes they went through as the war progressed. It includes colour photographs of many previously unseen examples as well as period photographs. The markings are covered on a per-Service basis including:-

Fire (AFS, NFS, Guards, Watchers and Parties)
    Wardens
    Industrial ARP
    Police (inc. Observer Corps)
    Health related Services (Medical Officer of Health, Casualty Services, FAP, Ambulance, SP, Hospitals and supporting voluntary services)
    Gas and Decontamination Services
    Repair Service
    Headquarters and Control (inc. Regional Column, Mutual Support, Transport, ARP etc.)
    Incident management & Messenger Service
    Rescue Service
    ....see pic of Contents for more

Many collectors (some of whom are here too) kindly provided access to their extensive collections and photographs to make this the first book on this hitherto under-documented topic in the book world and Marcus Cotton kindly provided the Foreword.

As it’s a self-published work it’s unlikely to make it to the shelves of the major book sellers - PM me please for more info.

IMG_7135.jpgIMG_7140.jpgIMG_7136.jpgIMG_7151.jpg

well done Ade
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I envy you guys that have the knowledge and the drive to sit down
    and write a book. I've been lucky enough to have some of my pictures
    used in different books but I could not imagine being able to take on
    that big of a project myself.

Good on you.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Congrats Ade, I'll be PM'ing you as I can't make it to the W&P show.....
    "Per Ardua"

Over a third of the stock gone in the first week and well on the way to half way through.....’wasn’t quite expecting that.

Thank you to all who’ve supported in this first week.

...and still learning stuff.....

You know those times when you think you're the only collector of [insert any non-TR item here] in the world??....well, WRITE A BOOK!....and sit back and wait for the crowds of collectors and enthusiasts to come out of the woodwork. There's LOADS of people interested in this stuff, for one reason or another....but it's taken the book to be able to find them...and then you start asking yourself how BIG the book would've been if you'd've known them earlier!!!

[Boring Book Tip No.7]

1st edition already collectable Very nice Mate

's'funny but with nearly half sold in 2 weeks you may be correct.....'never thought that'd be the case......before printing I drew up a list of who MIGHT buy it.....then I found out that 5 wasn't "an economic print run".....apparently! :-)

Quote by Composite View Post
    's'funny but with nearly half sold in 2 weeks you may be correct.....'never thought that'd be the case......before printing I drew up a list of who MIGHT buy it.....then I found out that 5 wasn't "an economic print run".....apparently! :-)
    frikken told ya!!!!

UPDATE....I've been posting (as in putting stuff in the Post) all round the world...US, NZ, Aus, Canada, Poland, Germany...even Scotland :-)......there appears to be a lot more interest in these things than is represented on any Forum I'm in....plus, that new fangled modern Face-o-Gram-Book thingy that young folk use on their hand-held mobile telephonic devices hosts a whole gaggle (?) of Groups who's interests include painted WW2 lids...who knew?

Perhaps one day they'll all rise up, arthritis and apathy allowing, and errrr.....make a cup of tea :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast