Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help needed with 'paper project' !

Article about: I'm not sure if it fits your criteria, but I would suggest the Nazi Party badge, or Parteiabzeichen der NSDAP. Wearing of the badge was obligatory, and early examples in enamel display great

mjw
    ?

Default Help needed with 'paper project' !

I recently read: ‘The Second World War In 100 Objects’, by Thompson and Millett which I found to be an interesting read. I am mainly a medal/insignia collector and I have been thinking of how I could apply the book formula to my own interests along the lines of ‘The Second World War In 100 Items Of Insignia’. I realise that list making is now part of popular culture, and we could all live happily without yet another example! However, just for fun, I would like to ask if, any Forum members would be prepared to give the above a minutes thought and post a few suggestions of their own? If anyone can, I think it would be useful to include a line of text highlighting the reason why you have selected a particular item. I am hoping that with members help, the list will reflect not only the knowledge of those Forum members who contribute but include items of both allied and axis insignia, that I would never have considered. I believe the list could easily reflect many aspects of this wide ranging conflict, that so far, I have overlooked!. My own list, which is far short of 100 items, I find to be disappointing in its content, reflecting too closely my own particular bias and ignoring too many iconic or historically important items! I realise that some members may find this request irritating, but too anyone who can give it a go, I think it will be rewarding, and I for one, will learn much. Kind regards, Malcolm. PS: I would like to extend a 'thank you' in advance to anyone who contributes.

?

I guess the SS runes insignia would be right up there. Those twin 'lightning flashes' are arguably known the world over for the evil they represent and the uniforms they adorned.

The Desert Rat insignia of the 7th Armoured Division should also feature for their exploits in North Africa, D-Day and Burma.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

mjw
    ?

Thanks Adrian, that is really useful and just the kind of reply that I was hoping for. Kind regards, Malcolm.

the Uboat badge for tenacity,and the rifle brigade badge for at the end of the day its the PBI on all sides who pay the price.

mjw
    ?

Harry, Likewise. Kind regards, Malcolm.

I believe the simple Iron Cross would be appropriate to represent German Military Tradition/Militarism and Battlefield Bravery...
    cheers, Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images

We should add those to the list:

A Volkssturm armband, preferably one of the simple, improvised "text only" ones. A good symbol for the final stage of the war in Europe and the last months of the rapidly collapsing and increasingly desperate Third Reich.

Also several items of insignia for the wide range of "homefront" services found in many countries the world over, be they of a civil defense/ARP-, military-, paramilitary-, charitable- or general war effort-support type. (The list is endless; from any national Red Cross organization to the British Homeguard, from the German Luftschutz system to the U.S. Office of Civilian Defense...) These would stand for the global and total nature of the war.

If it counts as an insigne, a Kamikaze headband should be included as well.

IMG_0631.jpgshea cap front.jpgha00316-1.jpgHG_36ii[2].JPGMaederer Allg Off cap TK.jpgdeath head.jpgDSCN1087.jpgyour grey SS cap.jpgphoto-105 copy copy again.jpgHere, you can use some of my 'scull' adorned caps for your project.

'Sculls' are, at once, a fundamental part of the representation of death incarnate in western civilization, as well as being part of Himmler's death cult Kitsch, which was a core tenet of Nazi ideology of the martyrdom and the idealization of violence and the heroic nature of those confronted with constant violence and threat of death---as well as the manner in which the Totenkopf also signified a scorn of death, a martial and masculine virtue, which is hardly a thing of Kitsch.

But the cap badge is surely Kitsch.

The cap badge also embodies Nazi horror and terror, as the sight of the thing in the epoch meant violence and death for Nazi victims in their millions.

You should also look at the on line teaching aids of the German Army and or War Museum in Dresden, which has already more or less done your homework for you, with its very cutting edge approach to the material culture of war.

Siehe da.

Militärhistorisches Museum der Bundeswehr - START

mjw
    ?

Glenn, HPL2008 and Friedrich, Thank you all for your suggestions. They are greatly appreciated. Already it is becoming a more international, and interesting 'list'! Kind regards, Malcolm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast