Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hitlers "Commando Order"

Article about: Hi Gents This is an interesting image. It is one of the images in "The Wars Best Photographs" Odhams Press Limited and was published in 1945. It was taken after the Dieppe raid and

Having served alongside 43 commando in Belize passed the all arms commando course and having a number of ex commando friends I can assure you that ' cross dressing ' is still popular with many of them !!

?

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Hi Scout,
    Most likely booty but it's the combination of items that's a bit odd. The headress is explainable, so is the K98 but together they are an interesting combination I feel as if you were copping a flogging with the sea at your back would taking booty cross your mind. It wouldn't mine.
    I guess that's what I am getting at the fact the Allies made such outcry with regards to Skorzeny's "American MP's" during the Ardennes battle when they were possibly engaging in the same activities earlier in the war.
    Maybe British anyway, It makes sound tactical sense in Commando ops for sure.

Oppps That's a good exercise in rhetoric

Cheers mate
    Dave
    I quite agree.
    More than likely booty, but as you say; 'liberating' enemy items like a cap and a K98 might not not have been the foremost thing, one contemplates in a desperate attempt to escape the clutches of the 'Reich' on the beach.

If any one is interested, there is a lot of information on the Commando Order here:-

Axis History Forum • "Other" war crimes - Commando Order

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Hi Jerry,
    Cheers for the link mate.
    I think it makes perfect sense. Keeping the initiative at all times regardless of method. They were not playing marbles .
    The thing about the image is that the gents pictured are not line infantry but elite combatants so souvenir hunting on a larger scale would not be high on their agenda you would think especially in such a large operation that is not going to plan as the Dieppe raid was.

Cheers Jerry
    Dave
    Hi Dave,

I remember seeing a Dieppe raid returners picture and he had a German helmet with him.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for the reply's gents.
    Appreciated.

All the best
    Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2