Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Holiday read suggestions

Article about: The best bit of advice you're gonna get on here today regarding holiday reading is, if the sunbeds surrounding yours look like this from around 6 a.m...... SNN0634GX1_1305190a.jpg Then whate

Default Holiday read suggestions

Guys

Every year I take a nice, long, but easy read book about WW2 on holiday!

In the past I have taken Ambrose's excellent D-Day, The Forgotton Soldier, Enemy Coast Ahead and Pacific

I cant be doing with heavy going and micro-detailed books on battle strategies etc when relaxing by the pool if you know what I mean.

I have been surfing through Amazon and nothing has yet caught my eye

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Default Re: Holiday read suggestions

The captive dreamer from Christian de la Mazières, he fought in the Charlemagne Division.
    Cheers,
    Michel

Hey Nick, weve got a few we've read if you can make use of them? Relatively easy reads, Bomber Boys by Patrick Bishop and The man who broke into Auschwitz by Denis Avey. If they're of any good we can pop them in the post for you? Going somewhere hot i hope!

Have you ever read anything by Charles Whiting, not the most academic or anything but ideal for holiday reading. I can recommend his book about the Battle of the Hurtgen Forest.

Also, what Vicky said above

Hey, thanks Vicky thats really kind of you however I have read both those excellent books!

Yes I am going to where temperatures can reach 50 degrees!!! My kinda holiday

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Have you ever read anything by Charles Whiting, not the most academic or anything but ideal for holiday reading. I can recommend his book about the Battle of the Hurtgen Forest.
    Apart from one or two of the scarcer of his books I have read them all! I love them !!! I prefer his work to Sven Hassell !

I particularly liked his SS-Peiper and his Leo Kessler books. He also did a book about the York Blitz which was excellent!

Thanks for the suggestion

Nick

Yeah, he also writes as Leo Kessler, right? If you want an interesting one, you could try No Surrender by Hiroo Onoda. He was one of the Japanese who didnt surrender until the 1970s, its a real eye opener.

Here's a great one Nick, "Agent Zigzag" by Ben Macintyre. It is an absolutely amazing true story. I was actually given this book by one of my tourists several years ago and found it near impossible to put down. The man who is the subject of this book is just an amazing character, I'd love to tell you a bit more about him but I don't want to spoil the story for you. If you find this book you won't be disapointed!

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Here's a great one Nick, "Agent Zigzag" by Ben Macintyre. It is an absolutely amazing true story. I was actually given this book by one of my tourists several years ago and found it near impossible to put down. The man who is the subject of this book is just an amazing character, I'd love to tell you a bit more about him but I don't want to spoil the story for you. If you find this book you won't be disapointed!
    Thanks mate, I have considered that one! You have made up my mind ..Thanks

Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast