Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Honesty in collecting

Article about: AMTG great story and you did the right thing. That said the dealer probably made triple what he paid. I've got a good one for you. My dads best friend used to be neighbors with an old Canadi

?

Default Re: Honesty in collecting

He would have added his mark up!!!! At least your neighbour was loyal enought to let you buy it from him!!!

That is the right thing. Hopefully the dealer does not break up the group.

?

I have no idea what happened after, as I moved interstate not long after........ideally he should keep it together

It's always tempting, of course, to just grin and bag up the stuff and take it home, but it depends on how much of a conscience you have. Sure, you would have made a haul, but you would have deprived an elderly lady of a much needed 8 grand too. Personally, I would have picked a few of the cherries from the lot and offered her a decent price for them and let her sell the rest to the dealer. That way, everybody wins-you, the widow and the dealer as well. Oh well...live and learn!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I think you did a good thing, although if it were me, and she was offering, I would have taken the helmet and some field gear then helped her to sell the rest.. After all, you were helping her out anyway!

AMTG, I applaud your integrity. I am not so sure I could be that strong in that kind of situation, to be honest. I think I would probably tell her that what she had is worth a ton of money, but I would keep insisting that I would take good care of it if I had it.

I mean come on, a dealer only sees dollar signs, and they are just going to break up the grouping and sell it piece by piece to the highest bidders, and a museum will end up 'losing' it... surely there would be a better way to pay her back than with money. As Ralph did, you could do a service for her, or help her some other way.

I would tell her how much it is all worth and that she has a collector's dream, but I would not hesitate if she insisted on giving it to me for free.

(I should mention that this would only be the case if I really didn't have enough money. If I had it, I would give her exactly what it's worth.)
    Last edited by ObKrieger; 02-15-2012 at 11:13 AM.

?

Sounds like an amazing lot ! You did the right thing tho ...

Kind regards
    Alex

?

In hindsight I suppose something could have been arranged....but shouldn't dwell on what could have been!!!

All good Kama mate.
    Nice darts.

?

Well Karma already seems to be working....being offered a SS relic just out of the blue was a good start!!!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast