Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

How can you ever find the value of what you have?

Article about: I'm new here and have posted some poor pictures. One thread/post was that I was not into collecting while I guess I always was unknowingly. Who or how do you get an idea of fair price on thi

Question How can you ever find the value of what you have?

I'm new here and have posted some poor pictures. One thread/post was that I was not into collecting while I guess I always was unknowingly.

Who or how do you get an idea of fair price on things you have. There are for instance the 2 'banners' I've shown. Still don't know, dirrect me to a person that needs a good, intact Ms 109 windshield.

I am at a point that I'm not sure how secure my family business is at almost 50 years so while I know what a Harley is worth and my Koi are worth, I am clueless here.
    I know you are all collectors for life so share please ... I don't want to get ripped should the day come nor do I want to take the wrong advice and rip someone else.

Default Re: How can you ever find the value of what you have?

Me personally, I look at the reputable dealer to get a sense of a ball park price range. Some dealers charge a little higher then others. But it also depends do you want sell it fast? sell it cheaper then what dealer sells it for (not whole lot). I mean hell, some of us wast time and look locally for deals to save some extra bucks.

I got a canteen that worth proabably around $100 or so, but saved $30 bucks. To me that good deal.

If I sell a part of my collection and I wanted a fast sell, i would sell little under the price dealer sells it for.

The dealer site is there a lot longer then your offer will be.

Franz

Franz1944, thank you for taking the time ... most appreciated.

Fast sell/collect ? How do you find the approximate value that keeps both parties happy... lets say not Buzzards.
    The one Regimental banner and the other were said to be great and one of a kind.
    If I have nothing for a comparison or many say they are the real deal still leaves me clueless.

Let's just assume (rolling eyes) it was for the purpose of insurance.

I am not to familiar with banners, I liked your Heer regiment one, since I am a Heer collector. Those that are "one of a kind", are more of an issue, I would consult collectors who collect banners and are familiar with prices.

For "one of a kind" you may need put out asking price, but you will need be able to negotiate with the buyer.

Ill keep eye out for similar banners that you have, for prices.

Franz

Many thanks Franz.

?

Pricing objects by photos can be very difficult and at the end of the day no matter what price you ask its only worth what someone is willing to buy it for, it could be worth £700-800 but the potential buyer may want a better deal and will be prepared to hold out until you drop the price, because you cant sell it, however if this article is one that will complete a persons collection you may get the full asking price, as for insurance purposes you can quote any price you want within reason as its you who will be paying the premium, but you may be asked for confirmation on the price supplied by a reputable dealer, so i would advise you to make a list of some, and get quotes from as many as you can.

I attend militaria fairs/shows often, search through Antique Malls/stores,
    and also do a fair amount of searches on-line. There are many dealers
    with items which are generally the same as I own and this gives me
    very good ballpark figures.

There is a big difference though, between a dealers selling price
    and a dealers buying price - 'Mark-up' - the guy is in business
    to make money. You have to find someone with a solid
    reputation and regular clientele...........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for all the replies and they all make sense.
    Back to searching and perhaps I'll find something interesting on the way.

Rudy