Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How do you clean your uniforms?

Article about: And btw don't forget guys that repellents are never enough. You need to keep your war rooms clean from dust etc Use a good vacuum cleaner and mob around to have the floor clean.

Default Re: How do you clean your uniforms?

What about an item bought explicitly for wearing, such as a cheap, 15 dollar surplus jacket? That must be ok, yes?

Most my collection consists of these cheap, relatively modern jackets I bought to wear, as that's how i got into collecting in the first place.

Some of the most unusual or "relic" items I leave unmolested. Like, for example, an Ike jacket with Insignia.

Is this an ok mindset to have? I only ask because i don't know.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Do anyone put moth balls in the pockets of the uniforms just IN CASE one of those pesky bugs gets in there?
    Yes I do. Makes the War Room stink to high heaven. Although I have found some lavender scented ones that now make it smell like an old woman's sock drawer. Nevertheless I find it an effective measure and (touch wood) have never had moth trouble.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Do anyone put moth balls in the pockets of the uniforms just IN CASE one of those pesky bugs gets in there?
    They bad for you - don't use them !

?

Ive been guilty of putting moth balls in the pockets, and it does make the war room smell like an old folks home. Cedar wood works too.

As Meyle said, there's alot of talk that moth balls are not a good and healthy thing to be around alot....Lavender and even cedar are safer.

(I like the smell of cedar anyway...we have 4 cedar lined closets in the house here and I'm debating on one in the other room being number 5...)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    They bad for you - don't use them !
    Everything is bad for you. And everything gives you cancer ...or so says California. I also drank from a garden hose growing up, my crib was lined with bumper pads and I played in the street. Nowadays you Might as well just live in a damn bubble.
    Last edited by MD Helmets; 07-31-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Lavender is an old method that works - I like smell of lavender so it doesn't bother me.

Careful with those garden hoses, Todd...always let them run abit first! We were always warned as kids to do that, as the dreaded Spiders liked to climb in them and cool off from the Summer heat! For years, I always had this image of flushing a big Tarantula down my throat! lol

(Course, then again, they used to tell us to always flush the toilet Before you got a drink of water from the sink, because if you Didn't, the toilet water would come out of the tap....The more I think about it, my parents were just plain Mean....lol)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Of course William, it must be run for approximately 30 seconds to get the spiders and hot water out. And a certain solo activity made you go blind. You couldn't swim for an hour after eating. We couldn't drink milk with pizza (still haven't figured that one out). We also were never allows to tell anyone or business, but we were supposed to know every one else's business. Man it ***** to be a grown up.

Personally i dislike moth balls. They stink and are very dangerous for human health.
    I use Lavender repellent in spray form, and gel tablets inside the uniform pockets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast