Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How to get unawarded medals awarded?

Article about: Hello Gent's, I have been tasked with trying to get a Purple heart for a USAAF vet who died in an air battle during WW2 but was never given the award. The family of the Vet would like to see

?

Default How to get unawarded medals awarded?

Hello Gent's,
    I have been tasked with trying to get a Purple heart for a USAAF vet who died in an air battle during WW2 but was never given the award. The family of the Vet would like to see if there is something that can be done. I don't know how that is done, so if somebody here knows and is willing to share that info with me it would be greatly appreciated.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

I would contact your local congressmans office. I'm told they are usually good at helping out. Other than that the only websites I know of are for replacing lost medals. ( Replace Veterans' Medals, Awards, and Decorations )

Wish I could be of more help.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks Micheal. I guess the congressman route my be my choice as this vet never got the PH awarded to him even though he was trying to help another crew member to the escape hatch when he was shot and fell out of the B17 and never opened his chute. The crew member who he was helping, survived the crash and later in life wrote about what had happened that day to SSGt Redwing and how he died. The wounded airman was Olen Reb Grant and his story about that day is on this link on page 6.
    http://www.nationalww2museum.org/v-m...pring-2013.pdf
    Thanks
    SF
    Phil

I just did the same for my pops medals. I contacted Department of defence. Obviously things in the USA would be different but it had to be next of kin or family member. It took over a year to even get a responce. Lots of paper work and effort but i now have a full set of medals he was never given.

2 by Marc Russo (Australia), on Flickr

Keep at it as like yourself and his family , that medal needs to be awarded to them

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Thanks Micheal. I guess the congressman route my be my choice as this vet never got the PH awarded to him even though he was trying to help another crew member to the escape hatch when he was shot and fell out of the B17 and never opened his chute. The crew member who he was helping, survived the crash and later in life wrote about what had happened that day to SSGt Redwing and how he died. The wounded airman was Olen Reb Grant and his story about that day is on this link on page 6.
    http://www.nationalww2museum.org/v-m...pring-2013.pdf
    Thanks
    SF
    Phil
    Based on that, he may be up for more than a purple heart! Not being in the military (unfortunately), not sure how if you can even build a case for something other than a purple heart, but maybe the congressman could help on that as well.

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by tailor marc View Post
    I just did the same for my pops medals. I contacted Department of defence. Obviously things in the USA would be different but it had to be next of kin or family member. It took over a year to even get a responce. Lots of paper work and effort but i now have a full set of medals he was never given.

2 by Marc Russo (Australia), on Flickr

Keep at it as like yourself and his family , that medal needs to be awarded to them
    Fantastic!

?

I don't know if this will be any help but the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) in Oshkosh WI. just helped an 89 yo USAAC veteran get his Purple Heart. His papers were destroyed in a fire years ago. I only have a phone so I can't link you to the story. But perhaps you can find the story through a search.