MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How long have you been collecting?

Article about: Just thought I would start a thread to see how long some of us have been collecting. I know I first received some Japanese bullets and field gear, when I was 8, and had handed down some Germ

Default Re: How long have you been collecting?

I have had an interest in ww2 history since i was very young being that i was bought up in London and told many stories from my dad, most were about warbirds and is something will still discuss and share info on even today.

Though i didn't start collecting till later in life it was always a passion of mine.

I only started collecting seriously about 4-5 years ago when i bought my first type 30 Arisaka bayonet being that i only collect Imperial japanese militaria and relics(at least for the time being)

Its been fairly difficult to find quality pieces here in Australia and like Grant mentioned the gun laws make it very hard to obtain ww2 rifles and such but in the state i live in we can buy deactivated ww2 rifles and am actually in the process of buying a type 38.

43 years. At about 8, my Father gave me his own, and also his Fathers WW2 items. My Grandmother, his mother, also gave me an old sword, and a 1892 Mannlicher-Berthier 8mm Lebel carbine, that was a relative in our family that fought in the Spanish American war, if I remember correct. That is my first military weapon, and I still have it. The sword has gone somewhere.

Then on my Mothers side of family, about same age of 8, she gave me all her Brothers items from WW2, and earlier. He was a commercial pilot in the 1930's, joined the USAAF at the outbreak or War, and was killed in 1943 over Greece in a B-24. She gave me all his Army Air Corp items, medals, purple heart, flag from his coffin, jackets, hat, navigation tools etc. She also gave me his .22cal Stevens Whippet C model, single shot bolt action rifle, and that was my VERY first real gun. I still have it. It is beautiful, and still shoots perfect.

I have been interested and collecting WW2 items ever since, 43 years. Gun collecting started seriously when I turned 18 and buy them, so 33 years for gun collecting.

Jan
    ?

Must be for around 37 years now. I started out as a young boy in Hanko Southern Finland finding bits and pieces after the fierce fights there in 1941-42. The kick was so big as to get seriously involved with arcaeology. Been collecting battlefield relics ever since and found my own battlefield bits and pieces in Greece (mostly Crete), Holland (Arnhem), Italy and North Norway and Finnish Lappland. I like all my items worn and in as found condition. Still very sceptical about buying without feeling the item in my own hands. Would trade a few stoneaxes for military relics anytime

I started collecting in 1979

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

WWII collector
    ?

Quote by Australian Guy View Post
    Just thought I would start a thread to see how long some of us have been collecting.

I know I first received some Japanese bullets and field gear, when I was 8, and had handed down some German items from my Grandfather when about 10 and I'm now 46, but couldn't in good honesty say I've been collecting for the last 38 years

I would say I've only really been collecting militaria for the last 10-12 years, on and off. Seriously the last few years. I collected firearms before that, but with the Australian gun laws, that soon ground to a halt, just a few percussion long arms and 1 flintlock pistol left .

So, anyone else what to share?

Cheers,

Grant

ive been collecting for a year or two :P

On and off, seriously and not so seriously since I was 14 or 15, which would be
    over 35 years. I sold off some of the best pieces I've ever seen back when,
    and then tried to buy replacements much later.......LOL ! !

Still a fascinating and enriching hobby.

Regards,

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2