Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

How old were you when you started collecting?

Article about: by PHILBROWN like to hear more about the story with the bmw in afrika stuka,,, I spend most of my youth in equatorial Africa from the east to the west coast. In Kinshasa my parents knew a Du

Default Re: How old were you when you started collecting?

I started collecting at about the age of eight (1960) when my friend's father gave me a Luger which he had brought back from the war. The trigger, magazine and grips were missing - but I was chuffed to own such a thing. Previously, I had only been able to look at the guns in Stensby's at Shudehill in Manchester. Not long after, I was given a Gew98 (minus bolt) which had been in someones coalhouse for years. I used to play with these things in the street. These days kids run the risk of being shot for waiving about a water-pistol! How times change.

Harry.

I was 16. I met the pilot of the Enola Gay, Paul Tibbets in person and got a signed book and a sign photograph from him. I then moved on into collecting WWII aviation items.
    At such a young age, dealers often dismissed me or would try to trick me with reproduction items, not realizing I did the very best thing when first starting to collect, I read every reference book I could find. They were worth their weight in gold! Glad to see new collectors still finding an interest in the WWII items.

WWII collector
    ?

i was 12, my first relic was an FG-42 mag and bayonet i dug up in francee

WWII collector
    ?

i was 12, my first relic was an FG-42 mag and bayonet i dug up in france

I started when I was 9. I am 13 now and I have some nice items even by some of you "veteran collectors."

These are a few of the "nice" item I have: (there is much more than what is listed here:

Early Type 99 Arisaka with all matching numbers and full mum
    No.1 MarkIII British SMLE
    Refurbished German helmet from germanhelmetsinc.com (I couldnt afford an original one)
    4 dress uniforms
    Grenades
    Many of my Grandfathers items
    A few fake items I bought when I was a younger "unsuspecting buyer"
    German wherpass
    Many more German items

And I got the best present ever this year for my birthday! A trip to Paris and Normandy on and around June 6th!!!!!!!!!!!

Im still fairly new to this fine hobby having only started collecting and researching about 8 years ago, so i would have been 20 when i started.

I do wish i would have started much younger being born and raised in East London and having loads of militaria dealers around selling peices for a few quid.

Not to mention that my grandad who once owned devinshire moters was paid to clean up and re-paint about 50 or so British, US and even German helmets back in the days and kept a few, even gave a few to my dad who eventualy threw them away

Cheers-

Darren

i started when i was 5 with a 90's surplus camo cap. i have pictures of me wearing it somwhere.

12 years later and im hooked. actually, i think borderline obsessed is a better way to put it.

I started when I was 12, I am 14 now and my first item i collected was a luffwaffe helmet and then my grand father gave me a walther p38

I started when I was 12, My first item was a refurb M40 SS helmet.

I can't believe it's already been 6 years.

hello tr fans etc...got my first ironcross when i got my weeks wage was 18 pounds and the ironcross 2wwar.. was 5pounds... and now im 47...time go.s.. lot o cash backthen in the late 70 s ..stil got it and oroom full of nice stuff

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast