Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How would you describe our hobby and what the best bits are

Article about: by Woolgar The financial drain is the worst Nick That is why collectors drink.

Default How would you describe our hobby and what the best bits are

Greetings guys
    I've just been given my Exam in my Art course at school and the title we where given to work from very luckily for me was collections. And bieng a collector of various things for most if my life. I decided to concentrate on the one thing that I've always found better than the hobby itself. And that of course is the community's that come with it. I'm looking at diffrent field of collectins, reference books etc also. And i hadthe idea to di one of the sections on collecting Forums. And I thought of no other than the one that i use almost everyday now. So the question I'm asking. Is that if you find the time, if you could just describe our hobby and what you enjoy or don't enjoy about it ?. Or anything you want really. I would greatly appreciate it.

Also just so you know what im using them for is I'm planning to just make a complete page in my exam sectch book of your replys (so if you don't wish to be seen on my course work I understand XD)

Thanks Stan

This hobby is an excuse for me to go on holiday to Berlin and buy militaria, the best bits for me are hunting for an item and walking away with a different item which has caught my eye, also having some great "cyber friends" on here!...

CBH
    ?

It's a difficult hobby to describe , I mostly say I'm a military collector , due to the fact I have items from the Victorian era to the modern . I should really start to narrow my interests but some items are family items , others I just come across . I used to be more of a German WWII collector , but with the prices of German items these days that became too difficult . And with the passage of time my interests in Allied items have grown , only wish I had have picked up more years ago when that stuff was so much cheaper . I also thank this forum for renewing my interest in my collection and collecting in general . Where I live there isn't much of a collector community , but this forum makes you feel not as alone in your interests . Hope that is kinda what your looking for . Good luck in your exam and in your collecting !
    Cheers Chris

just love the banter that goes on sometimes also how passionate people are about their items. a great bunch of guys and girls.

?

The best and worst bits are the individuals this hobby attracts.

From the stand up, friendly, decent folk who will help you out, go the extra mile and who give their time and effort to help everybody, right down to the scummers and scammers who fake our collectables or try to rip you off to the egos and attitudes found in new and old collectors alike.

The thrill of obtaining that sought after piece and the disappointment of missing it.

The search for the next item to add to the collection, the satisfaction of getting it in hand, holding that piece of history. We all covet what we collect and we all vary in what pieces make our hearts beat faster.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

What can I say? For me, collecting is all about history. I can appreciate any item from any country, be it Axis or Allied, hence I collect both. The two "greatest" totalitarian regimes of the 20th Century, the Nazis and the Soviets, certainly had some of the greatest designers when it came down to uniforms and awards. I love any item which has a researched historical connection and to hold that item in my hands still gives me a thrill, even after collecting for 35 years plus . I know fakes are the bane of all collectors, however, I do enjoy the intellectual challenge of beating the fakers and divining the right from the wrong. Meeting like minded people and sharing information is one of the hobbies pleasures. Hopefully this forum is a conduit which will drive the hobby forwards to new depths of research and historical interpretation.

Cheers, Ade
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Speaking a 'language' we all understand for me is priceless. When you meet other like minded folk who share that same passion and youthful enthusiasm no matter the age when finally getting to handle a piece of history no matter if it is unique or common place.
    That connection with the past that can only come when you unearth the history of an item and its connection with either an individual or a specific action.

Also the thrill of sharing knowledge with those who need it and the feeling you get when someone has taken the time to research and assit you when you reach a dead end.

?

I like military history and the artifacts related for many reasons. Wars have always had a huge impact on history. I will say that at each turning point was a war. Both my grandfathers were active in WW2, my father was Military Police and i of course served as well. My mothers father was at a Danish naval base "Holmen" his entire working life. I of course spent quite some time there I'm Danish.

On the collecting side of things i have both German, Soviet (WW2 and postwar) items. I just find them interesting. Really hard to explain. My main interest is battlefield (archaeology) finds, even i by now can spot a lot of different fake items thanks to the forum The battlefield found items is to me almost magic/sacred. there is just something about going out there and pulling items out of the ground which have been there since the war, used by the men who actually fought the war. Even i find a tent peg for a zeltbahn or whatever i always wonder "what's the story here"? For most of us who dig and/or collect it just goes in the blood so to speak. In late winter i have serious digging "withdrawal" Well i digress and start to rant. Hope you can use this for something.

Oh and btw. Great friends and community here

Regards, Lars

?

Likes (in no order)
    1- The artifacts are a physical connection with history and historical events.
    2- The challenge of authentication
    3- The satisfaction of a well researched item
    4- The opportunity to improve photographic skills
    5- The opportunity to network and befriend other like minded collectors
    6- The drinking that takes place when collector friends meet
    7- The trading that comes after/during the drinking when collector friends meet (I have had some legendary drunken trade-fests)
    8- Visiting other collectors around the world and seeing their collections.
    9- Exploring new avenues to collect.
    10- Setting up my collecting rooms and changing displays around.

Dislikes
    1- The dishonesty that collecting brings out in people with a low morale threshold
    2- The fakes that litter the hobby
    3- Faux collectors who use the hobby as their personal Pawn Stars get rich quick reality show
    4- Collectors who do not have the courtesy to say thank you after getting assistance
    5- Collectors who get upset with you when you won't sell them an item they want from your collection.
    6- Jealousy.
    7- Ego and inflated self importance.
    8- Bad photos and opinions being asked to authenticate items with said bad photos.
    9- All threads that begin with "Is it real and what's it worth?"
    10- The hangover that is inevitable after the drinking with collector buddies.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Likes (in no order)
    1- The artifacts are a physical connection with history and historical events.
    2- The challenge of authentication
    3- The satisfaction of a well researched item
    4- The opportunity to improve photographic skills
    5- The opportunity to network and befriend other like minded collectors
    6- The drinking that takes place when collector friends meet
    7- The trading that comes after/during the drinking when collector friends meet (I have had some legendary drunken trade-fests)
    8- Visiting other collectors around the world and seeing their collections.
    9- Exploring new avenues to collect.
    10- Setting up my collecting rooms and changing displays around.

Dislikes
    1- The dishonesty that collecting brings out in people with a low morale threshold
    2- The fakes that litter the hobby
    3- Faux collectors who use the hobby as their personal Pawn Stars get rich quick reality show
    4- Collectors who do not have the courtesy to say thank you after getting assistance
    5- Collectors who get upset with you when you won't sell them an item they want from your collection.
    6- Jealousy.
    7- Ego and inflated self importance.
    8- Bad photos and opinions being asked to authenticate items with said bad photos.
    9- All threads that begin with "Is it real and what's it worth?"
    10- The hangover that is inevitable after the drinking with collector buddies.
    I agree with your dislikes apart from #10, i never get a hangover!...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast