Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How would you describe our hobby and what the best bits are

Article about: by Woolgar The financial drain is the worst Nick That is why collectors drink.

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I agree with your dislikes apart from #10, i never get a hangover!...
    Really? What do you drink, water?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Really? What do you drink, water?
    I only drink German beer if i can help it!....

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I only drink German beer if i can help it!....
    Is there a brand you favor? I need to find something that doesn't knock the daylights out of me the next day. Mind you, beer isn't the problem. It's the rum. And tequila. And the wine.

Thanks guys, Ha I only put this thread up a few hours ago and I've already got great some great replies !. And I can definitely relate to some of these answers. Especially the part about going to seek out a certain item and coming back with something completely different.

I've always enjoyed the real History and the historical eras that go with it. Fiction can be a fun read or a good movie, but for me, anyway, the Real Thing has always been fascinating. I always found myself wanting More. To read accounts and see photos is but a whetting of the appetite. Next comes the obtaining pieces that came From that era. If possible, to Visit Where History took place and to envision the overwhelming pageantry with all it's impressive events and people great and small is what makes the hobby "Real" to a person. To hold a piece in your hand and think "This was There!". If it's possible to connect and Identify the piece with a name, a face-with a Real Person that you can read up about and Learn about, is even Better. The people that were there die....their memories fade...accounts morph and change with the fading dim and are sadly but eventually forgotten and lost...but there remains the Physical evidence of what has gone before. The medal in your hand...the rifle....the helmet...the lovingly preserved cap....They are something that has participated and have Been there in the History and cannot be denied. They help that the Truth of the accounts will Not fade and change into legend and myth, to be ultimately lost perhaps forever as so many great events in times past have already been. As long as they Exist and the Knowledge endures of what they Are and what they were For-what they Did and Why,.... History cannot be lost.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Doug, go for Sojuz vodka (old soviet brand), 3 times distilled, 12 times filtered Its just like drinking spring water

Cheers, Mads

The Skyy vodka in the blue bottles isn't bad either, if you're looking to avoid the hangover. It was Specifically designed to remove the impurities that Cause hangovers... Rums are just unavoidable, due to the way they are made. Even the better ones like Mount Gay XO still kick the Hell out of a person. Me, I'll stick with the higher labelled cognacs. Courvoisier XO has always been reliable for Me.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Courvosier is good. I always have a bottle of that on hand. I'm not a big vodka drinker but maybe I will try those brands you fellows suggest. 180,000,000 Russians can't be wrong.

?

Hard to say how I describe my hobby. I suppose it's partly an interest in history and a part unexplainable . Somehow , I feel strongly pulled toward WWII militaria, in particular, German.

As far as drink, I spoil myself with GJ, "gentleman's Jack". Otherwise, I am a cheap date. I drink Vodka I am partly Lithuanian and Ukranian.
    I'm also part Viking, but Meade is hard to find
    Attached Images Attached Images

I collect as an extension to my life long interest in WW2.

The thrill of holding history in my hands is the best bit

The financial drain is the worst

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast