Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How would you proceed to buy a item from a new forum member is presenting

Article about: Here is the story in short(!); someone shows up on the forum (a newcomer!) in order to have a item identyfied. After that was done he is offering it for sale. Both are living on different co

Default Re: How would you proceed to buy a item from a new forum member is presenting

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Then forget it and move on Kris.
    I did in my last message to him, but the collector in me is dying!!!!
    ;-)
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Default Re: How would you proceed to buy a item from a new forum member is presenting

Personally for me it's never worth it making a deal that I am unsure or uncomfortable with. Like everyone I've been burned a couple of times and it just ***** to go to the mailbox day after day and the item never shows up. For every deal that I miss it seems that there are 10 more just around the corner that go smoothly from reliable sellers that are at least somewhat familiar to me or known on the various forums.

?

My advice is - you just don't go tap dancing in a minefield. If you have serious doubts, why put yourself through unnecessary stress - it is just not worth it.
    Regards,
    John

Kris if it does not fell right and sound like it does not WALK AWAY.
    chris

Thanks for the reply's!
    That is also what commoun sence would order you to do, but still it feels bad....
    I left the guy a message and a link to thise thread, but it does not seems he is showing up to participate to the debat....
    He said he would move on to other people who made him a offer...

cheers
    |<ris

Here is the story;
    the guy shows up with attic finds, left there for over 50 years. He is telling not be a collector and asks for value and determination.
    At the very end he says he wants to sell it. And I reacted.
    We didn't knew how to make the payement as he didn't had paypal.
    I told him I would surely find someone of the forum living nearby him, with a paypal account who I could send the money to and he could deliver the helmets in exchange for his money.
    And it is there I got suspicious, because he never reacted to thise idea and all of the suden had paypal and knew how it worked.
    The name and adress he gave is listed to a house for sale by a real estate and is on the net, that is something anybody can see.
    And the fact messages came by an IP adress 750 km further down...
    I am not saying thise all is impossible, but when I asked for information regarding his identity and proposing to pay him after I got the parcel, with the forum as a witness of our doing he sayed it was no way of doing buisiness and wouldn't give me better guarantees.
    cheers
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

personally, i don't buy from anyone not known on the forum and with an established and active membership.

with the added factors as you describe them i would certainly not entertain the thought of proceeding even if i were to violate that first rule in opening a discussion at all.

that's just my personal modus operandi.

If that's the case, I'd proceed with the assumption that it's just yet another scammer and to Hell with it. No one wanting money to be Sent to them would be against revealing their identity, address, etc, unless there's something being played. Chances are, there never was any attic finds to begin with.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Just to make things clear we cannot be sure this is a definite scam as yet.

Granted, it is a bit suspicious but before torches get lit I would like hear from the other party.

I am looking into and dealing with the matter and can act as mediator if required. I have contacted the seller and asked him for clarification on this issue and hopefully this can be resolved one way or the other in short order.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    personally, i don't buy from anyone not known on the forum and with an established and active membership.

with the added factors as you describe them i would certainly not entertain the thought of proceeding even if i were to violate that first rule in opening a discussion at all.

that's just my personal modus operandi.
    Even that is no guarantee...
    It happened to me, on a deal of 500 euro with ex-forum member "klinger ".Banned now.
    Join Date Apr 2010 Location London England over 1,023 messages at the time!
    Only got a part of my money back with paypal.
    |<

cheers
    |<ris

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast