MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

"I Was Wondering Who'd Be The First To Spot That..." - Dad's Army Film Remake In The Offing.

Article about: by Adrian I can't see this one being a success I'm afraid. In our politically correct society we can't recreate the comedic values from the original series. Are we allowed to say the "f

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I can't see this one being a success I'm afraid. In our politically correct society we can't recreate the comedic values from the original series.

Are we allowed to say the "fuzzy wuzzies don't like it up 'em"?

Can we call someone a "stupid boy" without being accused of bullying and harassment?

It would be like trying to re-make 'Love Thy Neighbour' with the original language. Once the modern day censors were finished, it would end up a silent movie.

Cheers, Willie.

Was thinking about 'LTN' reading the thread last night but didn't think that virtually anyone else would have remembered it as it certainly didn't have the 'legs' of Dads Army which still gets aired today and on DVD etc.

Dads Army was very popular here in the Aussie colonies - as were virtually all of the Pommie shows of the era, I just don't understand why anyone would try to remake a classic like that. To me it's not just the fact that it was a very well scripted comedy, it's as much the characters that were portrayed brilliantly by such a magnificent cast that will always be remembered as "Dads Army". A new cast might work for a new audience but I doubt they will hold the attention of us older crew that know and love the original.

?

Gawd....."on the buses" will be next, maybe without the ever so subtle wife abuse references between Arthur and olive

I finally got to see "still open all hours" and it really was Granville being Arkwright, and a few guest appearances by the original cast, I was disappointed the milk woman wasn't there,had a serious crush on her

If I never see Penelope Keith again, it'll still be too bloody soon...

"On the Buses" was utter crap imo....The guy who played 'Blakey', Stephen someone or other was the most one dimensional actor i've probably ever seen. He was playing the same character on "Last of the Summer Wine" nearly 40 years later. And Reg Varney.....The only thing he was famous for was opening the worlds first ever ATM cash machine in Enfield....Funny not!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    No one will ever be able to capture the genius delivery of Arthur Lowe as Capt Mainwaring

Nick
    It does make you wonder how they will manage to replicate classic scenes such as this, one of everyone's favourites....

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I'm already offended! Where's my lawyer?

I cant find the episode where everyone had to parade with their medals and of course Mainwaring was never awarded any.
    Its absolute class !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Well, I can not speak for all or even some but I for one wish them every success in this project!! If it is half as good as the original, it should still be a good laugh. If the quips and ad libs are good and the new actor/characters are selected correctly then hay ho!!

Und vot is your name -- Don't tell him PYKE! Brilliant!!

Cheers Michael R

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast