Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Iconic images of WW2

Article about: The look on the Frenchmans face, the poor bugger just looks so distraught, it really must have been a terrible feeling for these people to go through. A bloke of that age was probably a sold

?

Default Iconic images of WW2

I thought I would start a thread on the iconic images of ww2, images that were used as propaganda for there heroic look and other famous images.

First is a historic photograph taken on February 23, 1945, by Joe Rosenthal which shows Franklin Sousley, Harlon Block, Michael Strank, John Bradley, Rene Gagnon, and Ira Hayes Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima.

The second is George Mendoça, an American sailor kissing Greta Friedman in times square on VJ day, August 14, 1945.

Please share your favorite iconic WW2 images

?

Default Re: Iconic images of WW2

Some more

First is Nagasaki after begin hit with the A bomb, 9th August 1945

Second is Hitler in conquered Paris 1940

Third is allied troops landing on D-Day June 6th 1944

Forth is Yevgeny Khaldei raising a flag over the Reichstag during the Battle of Berlin on 2 May 1945
    Attached Images Attached Images

The most famous of all proparganda pictures,SS trooper Hans Tragarsky taken during the early stages of the "Bulge" offensive 1944.....Jake.

Interesting thread. I thought both the flag raising pictures had been restaged for the cameras and there is debate as to the identity of the soldier in the bulge picture, but certainly all are very iconic images.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

AIF
    ?

A few from Australia.

1. The survivors of the 39th Militia Battalion lines up for parade after weeks of heavy fighting with the Japanese in the battle of Kokoda

2. Australian soldiers help a wounded German soldier during the battle of El Alamein

3. Quite a famous picture of an Australian soldier, Private George Whittington who has been wounded and blinded being helped back to an aid post by a fuzzy wuzzy angel, Raphael Oimbari, near Buna christmas day 1942... The Australian soldier died 2 months later.

I think this thread has been done before but here are my faves

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Jerry B back in da house again,glad your back safe and well,and yes your correct regarding Hans but until the evidence arises will stick with Hans,still an incredible shot in a series taken that day..............Jake.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Jerry B back in da house again,glad your back safe and well,and yes your correct regarding Hans but until the evidence arises will stick with Hans,still an incredible shot in a series taken that day..............Jake.
    Indeed, all great pics whatever the truth of the matter and all very iconic.

Glad to be back.

Is your avatar, "don't throw those bloody spears at me" Michel Caine from Zulu?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

And Nick you are right,but it proves how passionate we all are when it comes to these so poigant images taken during such a dark time.........Jake.

CBH
    ?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Interesting thread. I thought both the flag raising pictures had been restaged for the cameras and there is debate as to the identity of the soldier in the bulge picture, but certainly all are very iconic images.
    Both flag photos are retakes , Iwo Jima first flew a small US flag on a long pole , when replaced the famous photo was taken . Reichstag flag was raised at night and repeated for the cameras in day light .
    Cheers

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast