Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Iconic images of WW2

Article about: The look on the Frenchmans face, the poor bugger just looks so distraught, it really must have been a terrible feeling for these people to go through. A bloke of that age was probably a sold

Default Re: Iconic images of WW2

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Interesting thread. I thought both the flag raising pictures had been restaged for the cameras and there is debate as to the identity of the soldier in the bulge picture, but certainly all are very iconic images.
    The one with the Reichstag wasn't restaged but was censored! The officer helping the soldier to put the flag was wearing 2 watches! Signs of looting that the High Command of the USSR found unacceptable! So the 2nd watxh magically diasappeared on the 2nd version of the photo!

Maybe not iconic to everyone, but I have always admired these guys.
    In no particular order, the Pilots are: Chuck Yeager, Clarence 'Bud'
    Anderson, George Preddy and Quentin Aanenson, and a shot of
    101st Airborne GI's with a captured flag.

The fourth last one was a friend of my mother and I've been familiar
    with this photo all of my life. I know he was an outstanding athlete
    in track and field. I've often thought about what kind of man
    he was and might have been.........

Corporal Claude Eustace Bellsmith - 1st Canadian Division,
    Royal Canadian Regiment - killed at Ortona Italy,
    Dec 20, 1943 - age 27.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-10-2014 at 07:28 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Here are my favorites (besides the ones you've already shown)...

1st --> German soldier at the Eastern Front having just received the fatal round.

2nd --> Cretan guerilla warrior

3rd --> German paratrooper with a flamethrower running to cover at the early days of the Battle of Crete

4th --> German paratrooper that was either unable to get loose of the tree that was caught during the jump either was killed in the air falling down dead

5th --> the first minutes of the invasion in Crete! Photo from the Suda Bay showing many parachutes falling and a Ju57 already going down

6th --> German paratrooper that was dropped in the sea and drowned, later was drifted to the shore

7th --> Two more Cretan guerillas ('antartes' in Greek), this time a father and a son

I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

AIF
    ?

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    Here are my favorites (besides the ones you've already shown)...

1st --> German soldier at the Eastern Front having just received the fatal round.

2nd --> Cretan guerilla warrior

3rd --> German paratrooper with a flamethrower running to cover at the early days of the Battle of Crete

4th --> German paratrooper that was either unable to get loose of the tree that was caught during the jump either was killed in the air falling down dead

5th --> the first minutes of the invasion in Crete! Photo from the Suda Bay showing many parachutes falling and a Ju57 already going down

6th --> German paratrooper that was dropped in the sea and drowned, later was drifted to the shore

7th --> Two more Cretan guerillas ('antartes' in Greek), this time a father and a son
    Cool pictures mate! I used to know a sergeant who served in the 2/7th battalion who fought on Crete some of the stories he would tell were pretty full on, he was in the bayonet charge on 42nd street If you know anything about that.

?

Here are a couple of interesting Japanese pictures, they show the Japanese surrender to the 25th Indian Division at Kuala Lumpur on Malaya in 1945.

?

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    G'day all,
    One of the most iconic Australian images of the Second World War must be this one
    "The Dancing man"

Attachment 504939

The still is part of a section of film and was taken in Elizabeth Street, Sydney on the 15th August 1945" as "the Dancing Man" celebrated the news of the end of World War II.

There is a little bit of debate as to whom this gentleman was as a number of people claim it was them.
    It was such an iconic image in this country the government struck a one dollar coin of "the Dancing man" as part of a series commemorating the 50 year anniversary of the end of the Second World War.

Go you good thing

All the best
    Dave
    Great pic

This little joker knows the taste of the defeat.Soooooooo bitter and painful...Not so easy to murder Canadian soldiers ,hehe..
    While this young brave guy is dead for my freedom.

Guess the one that moves me the most?

Une bonne santé!
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

This was the first picture I saw that really gave me an emotional reaction. Dead German soldier looks to be just sleeping under water.

image.jpg

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast