Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Iconic images of WW2

Article about: The look on the Frenchmans face, the poor bugger just looks so distraught, it really must have been a terrible feeling for these people to go through. A bloke of that age was probably a sold

Default Re: Iconic images of WW2

A couple from Arnhem. I have always liked the one of the para giving the cameraman a good British "salute".
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Quote by LostDutchman View Post
    This was the first picture I saw that really gave me an emotional reaction. Dead German soldier looks to be just sleeping under water.

Attachment 512215
    Pic taken by Lee Miller.

She took quite a few now classic WWII pics.

Here she is in the 'Hitlers Bathtub' pic:

?

The pic of the dead SS man from the Dachau KZ camp is just one of several pictures from the shutter of Lee Miller, which made an impression on me.

In a wider shot of the bathtub (there are several different ones in the LM Archive. Some hitherto unpublished) you see LM's combat boots on the floor. Boots still with the dust of Dachau on them, as the arrived in Munich shortly after visiting the KZ, so the two pics (dead SS man in canal at Dachau and the bathtub pic from Munich) are connected. Lee Miller is supposed to have said, that she tried to wash the memory of what she saw in Dachau away. That of course proved impossible.

Search | hitler | LeeMiller

Lee Miller was...fascinating. Model, combat photog and so much more.

Quote by AIF View Post
    Cool pictures mate! I used to know a sergeant who served in the 2/7th battalion who fought on Crete some of the stories he would tell were pretty full on, he was in the bayonet charge on 42nd street If you know anything about that.
    This is awesome!! I'd really love to hear his story if you know anything about it! I've read a few articles on that bayonet charge but no
    1st hand stories!

An image from the St Nazaire raid. This soldier later died from his wounds

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

The Flagg recruitment poster, personally, always conjures mental images of America during the war.

image.jpg

CMH

One of my favorite images - painted by George Browning - Aust 2/48th battalion's attack on Sattleburg, New Guinea in 1943

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    One of my favorite images - painted by George Browning - Aust 2/48th battalion's attack on Sattleburg, New Guinea in 1943
    very nice painting indeed! it is like a photograph! very alive drawning! looks like the figures are telling a story and are about to move to the next ditch with Japanese forces! The jungle should have been a hellish enviroment to fight such fiercesome enemy not knowing where the bullet came from and where the enemy has his next trap!!! That scenario would have gave me constant nightmares for the rest of my life...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast