Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying a leather gas mask

Article about: I'm trying to identify this gas mask for a friend of mine, I only have one picture, and I'm told it's leather. Could anyone help identify it? I hope this is the right place to ask. Thanks, N

?

Default Identifying a leather gas mask

I'm trying to identify this gas mask for a friend of mine, I only have one picture, and I'm told it's leather. Could anyone help identify it?

I hope this is the right place to ask.

Thanks,
    Nitram

Default Re: Identifying a leather gas mask

First, never ever wear or get anyone else to wear an old respirator: most contain asbestos!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

First thing I warned him about Thanks for confirming the possibility.

EDIT - Just to make sure, in case he didn't read the email yet, I sent him an sms.

Nitram

Asbestos isnt the only problem in gas mask filters, the basic rule that should be followed is that if its expired and/or you are unsure of its been used or not consider it not suitable to breath through.

The mask you've shown is a post WW2 German Military GM-54, which was based on pre-war the GM-30 design. The one you have is fitted with what I believe to be the later type of filter. Also, for the most part its not leather, the only parts that are is the centrepiece on the head harness and around the inside of the facepiece.

Thanks

Danny

?

Thanks for the quick ID. I'll pass this info on, and I'll keep the safety warnings in mind.

Thanks,
    Nitram