View Poll Results: Europe or Japan ??

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • EUROPE

19 90.48%
  • JAPAN

2 9.52%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

If you were fighting in ww2 where would you rather fight in the scorching heat of Japan or the frigid winters of Europe ?

Article about: QUOTE=AmericanKraut;668767]I would pick ETO fighting the Germans, so I could pick up some souvenirs and tour where my family is from since Im to poor for both currently. The only reason I wo

Default Re: If you were fighting in ww2 where would you rather fight in the scorching heat of Japan or the frigid winters of Europe ?

QUOTE=AmericanKraut;668767]I would pick ETO fighting the Germans, so I could pick up some souvenirs and tour where my family is from since Im to poor for both currently. The only reason I would not want to be in Europe compared to the Pacific is the Bulge since I do not enjoy cold weather even though I live in the worst of the US's snowbelt...
    I would not worry about being captured either since I would plan on dying first or not get captured at all, at least that is what Id like to think...[/QUOTE]

If the "Bulge" is of interest, this might be a game for you.

53112 014.jpg53112 017.jpg53112 019.jpg[

Forum

Also, I don't think the original thread post was mean to be offensive. He was just asking if you would rather fight in the bitter cold or the opressive heat, not whether on the Axis or Allied sides. We all read more into it, just my opinion.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Default Re: If you were fighting in ww2 where would you rather fight in the scorching heat of Japan or the frigid winters of Europe ?

Hey Green, I'd give you a run for ya money with this game Mate, I have a few of these Avalon Hill games hehehe but not this one!

The game looks interesting I have a similar one called Rise and Decline of the Third Reich.
    And for not liking the weather of the bulge I collect many bulge Items one of my favorite units is the 99th in the bulge because they preformed better than some veteran units, and for most it was their first action.
    Last edited by AmericanKraut; 09-10-2012 at 05:50 AM.

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Well I can say where I'd least want to be during WW2 and that's Yugoslavia, there was the highest death rate per capita! crazy war for them there.
    Indeed.
    I recommend reading 'Eastern Approaches' for a dose of crazy

?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    A strange question asking "where do you want to go to war". War is often romanticized, but war is dirty business with not many or no rules at all. This is a fact! Only the decency and morals of the participants set the bar of cruelty and both of these can vanish fast.
    However if i have to answer "where". I would go East with my "Opa" and fight the Bolsheviks. RIP.

Regards, Lars

Attachment 395131
    A Soldiers answer Lars
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I remember the utter hatred my grandfather and his sister had for the Japanese who had taken her husband at the fall of Singapore and imprisoned him in Changi. Inhumane medical treatment and unsterilized equipment left him with an external bag the rest of his life until the poor soul hung himself in the early 1960's when he could bear it no longer.

And against personal tragedies like this, we kids watched "McHale's Navy" and "Hogan's Heroes" and thought war was fun and games ........ how that generation must have hated Hollywood sometimes....... war IS hell, lest we forget THAT.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I wanted to say nothing but I can't. Discussing desired theatres and those posted perceptions of those theatres is beyond me. I know there are several members here with military service identified without stating but others seem (perhaps who are younger - without me being condescending) that find war to be some exciting tour. I only hope these persons have developed an interest in militaria or history without the unfortunate consequence of literally having your family heritage obliterated. To me war, regardless of conflict, is disgusting, disgraceful and in most cases senseless. Posts about "robbing banks whilst the heroes shelter" make me want to sell my families memoribilia except that their memoribila and achievement is the only thing that gives me inspiration during my perceived times of personal hardship.

?

I'm sure this thread was started with the best of intentions but it should've been titled 'Which TV miniseries would you have prefered to be an actor in'?.

It is now totally ridiculous and the answers range from the well thought out to copying the plot from Kelly's Heroes. It has verged on the realms of fantasy in some member's minds and also gone to 'which baddies treated their prisoners the worst?'.

I bet most people here who answered have never been to war and their concept of combat is based on Hollywood movies and some romantic perception of turning up, combing the battle field for souvenirs (because after all, foresight tells you that this is the best thing to do with one eye on the future), robbing banks (because that's really going to happen isn't it?) and getting medals when you knock off at the end of the day.
    The bad guys are always terrible marksmen and you on the other hand are Olympic and World Champion quality with a never ending supply of ammunition.

Complete rubbish.

The movies and documentaries don't portray the heroes cowering at the bottom of a foxhole, soiling themselves in sheer terror, vomiting through the daily stress of knowing there are people wanting to kill you, they don't tell you about the horrific wounds, infection, death and loss. You will never know what it feels like to run away from people trying to kill you.
    Everything is a very romanticised image of warfare which no-one here can put themselves in because they weren't there at the time. War is very different now, we will never know exactly what is was like to be there because the conflict that was the Second World War will never be repeated so some of the answers I've read here are bordering on fantasy.

This thread was an ill thought out and poorly executed. Unfortunately, some of the answers prove this. We cannot by any stretch of the imagination comprehend what conditions were like at any place or time during the war and with so many theatres of conflict omitted the thread has just been a narrow minded musing based upon watching a couple of TV shows. The facts presented in the opening thread are TV series facts, not based on a documentary series or a well researched book. Just upon how to make warfare acceptable in our living rooms.

If anyone else wishes to offer the same discussion to the forum, please do so but try and present it in a well thought out way so everyone can give their thoughts in a well balanced fashion.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

The only description of the brutality of war and of the absolute terror and exhaustion experienced is Guy Sajer's book 'The Forgotton Soldier'. He even writes in his pages that we as readers, warm in our cosy armchairs, will never understand no matter how expressive or eloquent he tries to describe the horrors.

This book stayed with me and still does haunt me

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Adrian

So you would find it better for me to answer an question in wich war i would like to see my friends die in? My family raped or blown to pieces or worse..

Maybe you should see why i answered this question the way i did, instead for attacking my answer and try to make me feel like a fool.

What answer would you like me to give then to this brilliant question? Yes i would like to die on the eastern front? Wow how romantic? Maybe die in the pasific instead would taste better?!

maybe i dont belive in war anymore, maybe i do not want to die for a long forgotten war. Maybe such questions brings the tears in my eyes when i remember stories i have been told of the horrors of war. Please do not sit on you white horse and condem my answer. People are different, and i am one of these who absolutely do not want to die in no mans land with my dead friends around me.

If you wish to expell me for answering you, then go ahead- it will not make me wish to die in a long gone tragic war whatever you do.

I am a collector of militaria, not a dreamer.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast