View Poll Results: Europe or Japan ??

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • EUROPE

19 90.48%
  • JAPAN

2 9.52%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

If you were fighting in ww2 where would you rather fight in the scorching heat of Japan or the frigid winters of Europe ?

Article about: QUOTE=AmericanKraut;668767]I would pick ETO fighting the Germans, so I could pick up some souvenirs and tour where my family is from since Im to poor for both currently. The only reason I wo

Default Re: If you were fighting in ww2 where would you rather fight in the scorching heat of Japan or the frigid winters of Europe ?

Well done Adrian

Default Re: If you were fighting in ww2 where would you rather fight in the scorching heat of Japan or the frigid winters of Europe ?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I'm sure this thread was started with the best of intentions but it should've been titled 'Which TV miniseries would you have prefered to be an actor in'?.

It is now totally ridiculous and the answers range from the well thought out to copying the plot from Kelly's Heroes. It has verged on the realms of fantasy in some member's minds and also gone to 'which baddies treated their prisoners the worst?'.

I bet most people here who answered have never been to war and their concept of combat is based on Hollywood movies and some romantic perception of turning up, combing the battle field for souvenirs (because after all, foresight tells you that this is the best thing to do with one eye on the future), robbing banks (because that's really going to happen isn't it?) and getting medals when you knock off at the end of the day.
    The bad guys are always terrible marksmen and you on the other hand are Olympic and World Champion quality with a never ending supply of ammunition.

Complete rubbish.

The movies and documentaries don't portray the heroes cowering at the bottom of a foxhole, soiling themselves in sheer terror, vomiting through the daily stress of knowing there are people wanting to kill you, they don't tell you about the horrific wounds, infection, death and loss. You will never know what it feels like to run away from people trying to kill you.
    Everything is a very romanticised image of warfare which no-one here can put themselves in because they weren't there at the time. War is very different now, we will never know exactly what is was like to be there because the conflict that was the Second World War will never be repeated so some of the answers I've read here are bordering on fantasy.

This thread was an ill thought out and poorly executed. Unfortunately, some of the answers prove this. We cannot by any stretch of the imagination comprehend what conditions were like at any place or time during the war and with so many theatres of conflict omitted the thread has just been a narrow minded musing based upon watching a couple of TV shows. The facts presented in the opening thread are TV series facts, not based on a documentary series or a well researched book. Just upon how to make warfare acceptable in our living rooms.

If anyone else wishes to offer the same discussion to the forum, please do so but try and present it in a well thought out way so everyone can give their thoughts in a well balanced fashion.
    Eloquently put.

At over an hour long, this documentary may prove to be an attention span too far for some that have posted here already. Nevertheless, it puts into perspective what has been discussed, and covers many of the aspects of the horrors of war mentioned, and for some, it's never ending aftermath, I urge those with a true interest of the cause and effect of real war to watch it if time permits.

WARTORN 1861-2010_HORRORES DA GUERRA - YouTube

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I would not like to see any member or any person answer where they would prefer to die as the question is quite frankly a foolish one. If anyone feels foolish then perhaps you should ask yourself why?

Everyone has answered the question as they see fit, some maybe tongue in cheek, some maybe without actually putting much thought into it. You will notice I did not answer the question as I don't see any reason to.

I did however voice my thoughts on the question and also on some of the answers. Any question or answer that trivialises warfare and death based upon a couple of TV series or a romantic Hollywood perception is not something I agree with.

I decline to answer the question directly as it is not something I would like to dwell upon and it doesn't even enter my train of thought.

If you don't like my thoughts or feelings to this thread then that's up to the individual to decide. I've voiced them and they are there to be read and interpreted in any way the reader chooses.

And no-one is going to be expelled for answering, this isn't a childish forum. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and now you know mine. It's there to be discussed - not argued over!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Forum

Please, before we lose members, just re-read the OP, it asked if you would rather fight in the heat or cold. We all have ties to former battles and the like, but we must agree that war is hell on all fronts.

And yes, I have ran for my life! A couple of times, actually. Being at the wrong end of a barrel is no damn picnic!! A real gut check!! There is a war in the streets here every day, anyways. Two things I am sure of, 1) I'll load my shorts full of shit and 2) I'll load my mags. When I survive, I can clean both later.

Greenhorn
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Any question or answer that trivialises warfare and death based upon a couple of TV series or a romantic Hollywood perception is not something I agree with.
    I hope Adrian that my post was not the one you refer to. If it is, then I failed to make my point - that any trivialisation was television's doing and to a child of the 60's ( and more than a decade your senior ) those shows were WW2 in our minds. Quite patently it was NOT & I was merely explaining the juxtaposition of it all.

I too do not like to play 'what if' games because I saw how our family was affected by the war for decades after and I would never wish to put those I care for through similar emotional traumas.

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

As Adrian has pointed out this isn't a childish forum, but this was a childish question and poll asked by someone is a juvenile , 15 i believe although the question itself gave this away !! For me this type of question is not worthy of a forum where we hope that discussions will take place in an informed adult manner , discussing the issues of our hobby in a serious way !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Take it easy now friends. Let's just forget about this thread and get it closed, regardless what we think about this "topic". I have been taking part in threads closed for less than this one

Kind regards to all, Lars

I had not looked at this thread since I made my post and reading some of the posts since then, I agree with Lars that it is probably time to close it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Guys i have let this rumble on to some sort on conclusion in the hope that it will be an example of the type of question / poll etc etc that we really don't want here if we want to remain serious about why we are members here.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Guys i have let this rumble on to some sort on conclusion in the hope that it will be an example of the type of question / poll etc etc that we really don't want here if we want to remain serious about why we are members here.
    I agree completely Paul. I edited my first post in this thread as I was going to close it after I had posted but decided not to as I was hoping more opinions would be forthcoming.

I hope you are all aware, no-one is going to be banned for having a different opinion than the next person so please don't post any more comments along those lines. You will not be banned for disagreeing with someone. Everyone can agree to disagree.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast