Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Im new in this collection world and i would like to get some help

Article about: Hello. Im a new user here and first of all thank u for letting me join. On 22 februari im going to a militaria fare. My intrest in WW2 stuff has been growing with the years. I would like to

Default Im new in this collection world and i would like to get some help

Hello.

Im a new user here and first of all thank u for letting me join.
    On 22 februari im going to a militaria fare.
    My intrest in WW2 stuff has been growing with the years.
    I would like to collect some original stuff from the third reich.
    As im a new comer i would like to get some advise because im planning to search for a Badge or medal from the Nazi's.

How can i know if something is fake?
    What do i need to watch?
    If its rusty can i be sure its real?
    Do i need to watch for markings or what markings are sure that are fake?
    (I bought somethings already, old friends of mine were sure it was fake so i hope to get some information here about the real things)

Greetings from Belgium

?

Buy books, more books. Study the forum. Buy more books. Then when you find something you like, place it on hold. Take crystal clear photos, and upload the photos here.

Welcome

Welcome to the great game, your gonna find it very interesting........

daniel in the lions den.jpg
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

As someone who has only just recently started collecting, I will tell you the best thing I've learned. Research, research, and then research again just as you're about to buy something.

This is an amazing hobby, but there are so many dangers when it comes to buying these things. I've only been burned twice, and for low cost things so I count myself extremely lucky (but then again, my collection is very small). It's very easy to find something, get really excited about it and then forget to check and double check the authenticity. You have to be really careful with some sellers (and I'm not talking about the very fine folk on this forum) - after all, it is in their interest to sell the item. Some are unscrupulous and will try to lie and say anything to sell their goods. And some just don't know and anything even close to the war period instantly becomes "OMG NAZI SS BEST EVER HITLER MOUSTACHE HAIR, REAL CHEAP".

Best idea I found is when I locate an item I like, first I try to have really good pictures. Whether my own in person, or if the seller is online, make sure the pics they have are really fine and clear. And then hit the search engine and find examples of that item, and study it in detail. It may seem daunting, but an even an hours research can save you from spending money on something that isn't real.

This forum is a fantastic database of items, and the experience of some of the people on here could fill books. So use that experience and check often

I've started keeping my own notes on things I find. From basics like manufacturer numbers for awards, to things to look out for on common fakes, these are very useful things to refer to. Particularly pics of fakes, I think these are invaluable, as it teaches you to what to look for when you examine a new item. I keep this document in the cloud and have it synced to my phone, so I always have my notes with me if I should stumble on something

Books are also invaluable, but be aware that some of the finer ones can be quite costly. Then again, if you seriously get into collecting, the couple of hundred you spend on books could easily repay themselves if they save you from buying items that are not genuine.

And of course as TrondK mentioned, upload the pics to the forum and get others opinions. The friendly people here are always willing to help out. If you already have some things, take good photos, post them on the forums and you're sure to get some better information about them.

MAP
    ?

As said above. It's all about study and research, which in my mind is sometimes more interesting than the item itself.

Others may disagree but to begin with, focus on a small area that is relatively inexpensive. This way you can hone your skills and if (more probably"when") you make a mistake it will not be too painful or more importantly discouraging. We all have been burned.

If something is too cheap, there is a reason so walk away until you know your stuff. Also buy from a reputable dealer who has a return policy. Post clear shots here for advice.

and welcome....

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Iron Hussar View Post
    This forum is a fantastic database of items, and the experience of some of the people on here could fill books. So use that experience and check often

I've started keeping my own notes on things I find. From basics like manufacturer numbers for awards, to things to look out for on common fakes, these are very useful things to refer to. Particularly pics of fakes, I think these are invaluable, as it teaches you to what to look for when you examine a new item.
    I agree with the first comment.

I would suggest you study ORIGINALS, not fakes, as the details of originals will never change. If you study fakes and run into a new fake, you will be lost. If you study originals and run into a new fake, you will know it is not an original. You will naturally learn some of the details of fakes as you go.
    Just my opinion,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Have to agree with the guys above.
    would like to add that going to military fare with not much knowledge would be dodgy. I wouldn't chance it.
    there is a classifieds section you can click on to at the top of the page. where bad items are weeded out.
    I see there is a nice starter set at the top of the awards section.
    best of luck.
    Rod

Once you have bought a dozen or more fakes of anything you will then be on the right road to collecting. Point is DO NOT JUMP into anything. Learn,learn,study,study,........and ask questions even if is a dumb question to some, others will learn and so will you. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by Burningwhisky7 View Post

How can i know if something is fake?
    What do i need to watch?
    If its rusty can i be sure its real?
    Do i need to watch for markings or what markings are sure that are fake?
    Unfortunately, only the "rusty" question can be answered with a simple and short answer, and that answer is "no".

The answers to all other questions can only be given individually for every single type of item or even for one single piece, and they fill countless books, magazine articles and websites.

Otherwise, everything that has been said in the above posts is very good and sound advice that you should follow.

Welcome to the hobby and the forum!

Quote by big ned View Post
    Welcome to the great game, your gonna find it very interesting........

daniel in the lions den.jpg
    I actually rather like that analogy Ned - of course he should have been 'thown to the floor vewy wuffly' first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast