Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Imperial War Museum, some rather disturbing news.

Article about: I would like to draw to the attention of all forum members some rather worrying developments at the Imperial War Museum. The museum has made a bizarre, and, frankly, disgraceful decision to

?

Tragic shame that they can't find the necessary funds to maintain this great institution as a place of learning for future generations of scholars. In the scheme of things it is really small change.

?

How many IWM's are there?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Agreed, I was there in August and to be frank, was quite disappointed in how it looks compared to years ago.
    Same for me, I was there in August and it was better on previous visits and I think they wasted £40 million on the refurb, no wonder they don't have any money.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi guy's , I know what you mean, I was there with my wife in October, it was the first time I had been to the IWM London in 20 years and I to felt it was nowhere near as good since it's "re-furb". It is very sad to see multitudes of TV screens taking the place of artefacts, yes the story is told but there seems very little "connection" to the past left. Leon.

Maybe it is time for the present Government to end the long-held protected policy of free admission to our national museums. This might help the funding deficit common to all of our great museums not just the IWM.

It seems most of the IWM funding deficit concerns pension contributions so some of the present staff have to go to pay for the pensions of the former staff and those deemed more important in delivering services of the IWM. 'Twas ever thus.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by AMTG View Post
    You have the main one at Lambeth in London. Then there are various other sites that come under the IWM 'umbrella':

Churchill/Cabinet War Rooms - London
    HMS Belfast - London
    Duxford - Cambridgeshire
    North - Manchester

Duxford is by far the largest and, in my opinion, best of the lot.

Quote by AMTG View Post
    There are three... The main one at Lambeth in London. Then there is the museum at Duxford air base. And finally - there is IWM North at Salford Quays, Manchester. I've not been to the Lambeth museum since the 1970's, and I was last at Duxford in the 80's. But the IWM North is an absolute joke!

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi guy's , I know what you mean, I was there with my wife in October, it was the first time I had been to the IWM London in 20 years and I to felt it was nowhere near as good since it's "re-furb". It is very sad to see multitudes of TV screens taking the place of artefacts, yes the story is told but there seems very little "connection" to the past left. Leon.
    I thought i would be there for the whole day yet was done after maybe 2.5 hours. For all the space it seemed like there was nothing there...

?

Next, they will "tender" out the actual running of the Museum into a private company's grasp .....
    It's just a simple way of off loading the responsibility they have to directly employed staff under the guise that "private hands" are more cost effective .......
    Total Boll*x !!!

Steve; I signed it also. No matter what country it is in. It is vital we keep these services.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3