Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Import Laws

Article about: Hi Lad`s , can anyone advise me on the current position on importing swords and bayonets etc. into the UK as far as the customs are concerned ? cheers Al

?

Default Import Laws

Hi Lad`s , can anyone advise me on the current position on importing swords and bayonets etc. into the UK as far as the customs are concerned ?

cheers Al

Default Re: Import Laws

I know it has being banned recently , impossible to get them in or out.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Hi Al, the only possible problem would be with a Japanese sword.

Daggers and swords nad bayonets are not banned from importation to the UK per se.

But I would advise some caution on what is actually written on the customs label.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Al, the only possible problem would be with a Japanese sword.

Daggers and swords nad bayonets are not banned from importation to the UK per se.

But I would advise some caution on what is actually written on the customs label.

Cheers, Ade.
    I was told all swords where prohibited of being in or ex-ported.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I think this refers just to Japanese swords? But bona fide collectors can still trade in these. But I am open to correction as always.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi lad`s , and thank`s for your help , sounds like it`s a bit of a tightrope as far as losing your goods is concerned !!

cheers Al

?

I import a lot of strap fittings and fasteners from the States, and did my research before buying anything. The best thing is to look at the HMRC website as this has a long list of information on importing items, there is a list with coding's for different goods, you can then get your seller to put them customs code on your parcel, plus it will help with getting the correct import duty tariff, so you don't get stung by the Taxman.

Tariff Sections | Business Link

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

Hi Nige , thanks for the link

cheers Al

Reg
    ?

Von Sphinctor from this forum sent me a super yugo mauser bayonet about 3 months ago from the USA with "vintage bayonet" on the customs label, I had to pick it up from the royal mail collections place though but no one seemed to have any quarms. I thought I should leave it in the box to walk back through the town centre back to the car! best to be wise with these things,

Reg

Al

The potential problem area is with curved bladed swords with a length greather than 50cms.

Quote from the law

"a sword with a curved blade of 50 centimetres or over in length; and for the purposes of this sub-paragraph, the length of the blade shall be the straight line distance from the top of the handle to the tip of the blade"

The law was designed to stop the sale of "Samurai" swords.

Whilst it is illegal to sell or import swords of this type there are exceptions relating to age and manufacturing method.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2008/em/...0082039_en.pdf

Don't forget that swords imported into the UK may be liable to VAT - 15% for new or 5% for antiques + a handling charge (Parcelforce, UPS etc)

Straight swords (not swordsticks), knives (unless specifically prohibited ie flick knives) and bayonets can be legally imported and sold in the UK.

Simple isn't it !

Regards

Richie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast