Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

incredible video! Tangermunde bridge crossing

Article about: This is the reason why we see so many missing insignia off of uniforms and caps along with recent pick offs. Amazing to see the German soldiers walking around with Panzer fausts. Great video

Default incredible video! Tangermunde bridge crossing

Hello chaps!
    I have seen a lot of vids about WW2.
    This one knocked me out....Such a mess...Like a civilisation collapsing...
    If anyone has historical details,i'm interested in.
    Thank you!
    Hope you enjoy it.

WW2: "Has Everyone Gone Nuts?" - The Tangermünde bridge, Germany (May 10 1945) - YouTube

Default re: incredible video! Tangermunde bridge crossing

A very interesting video! Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks, Glen.

The moment at around 2:40, when the US soldier is angry at finding the SS collar tabs on the prisoner is worth noting.

Incredible footage!! So many lost souls ! So many relics !

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

A different looking place today
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

On April 25th as the Russian Army was attacking Berlin, just forty-eight miles east of the Elbe, German soldiers and civilians began surrendering en mass to the Ozarks. As far as they were concerned their war with the Allied Forces was over. Germany's once proud army feared the Russians so much that an organized crossing to the west bank of the Elbe could not wait. Fear stricken hordes crossed on anything they could find; rafts, inner tubes, planks, and tubs. The once elite Panzer Troops stripped down and swam across the river naked. German soldiers fought each other for debris to swim across on. Thousands of Wehrmacht soldiers arriving in trucks surrendered to the 102nd in Tangermunde. Their generals and colonels argued as to who was there first to surrender.

As chaotic and unbelievable as things had appeared for the past week it got worse on May 7th. Morning light brought the Russian Army. Their infantry crossed a four-mile square meadow leading up to the rail/traffic bridge at Tangermunde. Some Wehrmacht, with the end of the war only hours away, refused to surrender. From the west bank the 102nd could only watch as the Russians fought those that refused to surrender. The Russians literally walked up to the bridge approaching the fleeing mob surging across. Map showing the Russian Army's push west toward the Elbe.

Some German soldiers, who at first sight of the Russians crossing the meadow, had taken cover behind bushes and in tall grass. The Russians,in their haste to get to the bridge to stop the escaping enemy, bypassed the hidden soldiers. It was a mistake both sides would regret. The hidden Germans ambushed their enemy. The Russians fell back and the Germans made a mad dash for the bridge. The Russians opened up on the bridge area with an artillery barrage. Shells fell upon soldiers and civilians alike. The Ozarks, under military law, could only stand by and helplessly watch. In a short while the shelling stopped and the Russian Army once again advanced on the bridge and linked up with the 102nd. The war in Europe would officially end the next day, May 8th, on the banks of the Elbe River.

?

Although I have seen this footage before, thank you for posting this Seb. It is a stark reminder of the brutality of war, and the shocking scenes show how one and all are deeply affected.

Regards,

Carl

Many thanks for the lesson.There is a 2nd vid filmed at the same place showing a very aggressive despach rider,beating Germans and what i believe to be nazi soldiers.
    I can just advice you to register to the channel "Quarx" where i find this jewel.The guy has a lot of incredible vids.
    Thanks for your kind words.

?

That DR was a bit out of line. Oddly, my father was a DR and was in roughly the same area at the time. Great link, thanks for posting.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

I didn't wanted to point that DR especially,but it was the FIRST time i saw a Brit soldier filmed while being violent against an ennemy(and in a really ridiculous way,have to say),and it schocked me a little bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast