Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Inside Hitler's bunker

Article about: Great photos by the first american to enter Hitler's bunker LIFE: Hitler's Bunker | Photo Gallery - Yahoo! News Canada

Default Re: Inside Hitler's bunker

Quote by Poromies View Post
    Based on the marks on the legs of the furniture, the water wasnt that high, but the cap still has mold all the way to the top :O It might just be dust.
    I'm sure the wool acted as a wick and soaked the cap w water higher than the water line.

I didnt think of that
    On the picture of the couch, am I seeing wrong, or is the black item on the couch the pistol used by Hitler to take his life?

?

Quote by Normandie View Post
    I've acctuly read about a few people during the night sneaking into the bunker with an illegal guide, I'm not sure, but I would guess that the bunker is sealed of right, with sement or something like that?
    The Führerbunker was demolised years and years ago. Today a housing block is located where is once was.
    You must be thinking of another bunker.

?

Quote by Poromies View Post
    I didnt think of that
    On the picture of the couch, am I seeing wrong, or is the black item on the couch the pistol used by Hitler to take his life?
    Its just some debris in the sofa.
    Any guns were loooong gone by then.
    There are blood stains at the armrest though.

I believe it was demolished in the late 1980´s? I saw a video in youtube with footage from inside the bunker in the 80´s, so I believe the bunker Normandie is referring to is indeed the führerbunker. I heard it was patrolled by DDR border guards and dogs before they sealed it with cement, so there must have been several people who sneaked inside.

?

I have no doubt, that the bunker referred to was the Führerbunker. That is after all what this thread is about.
    What ever happened once in regards to sneaking into some bunker, I can not know.
    I do know and I repeat; the bunker was demolished and a housing block rose here once the Führerbunker was.

The ruins of both the old and new Chancellery buildings were levelled by the Soviets between 1945 and 1949 but the bunker largely survived, although some areas were partially flooded. In December 1947 the Soviets tried to blow up the bunker but only the separation walls were damaged. In 1959 the East German government began a series of demolitions as to the Chancellery and also the bunker. Since it was near the Berlin Wall, the site was undeveloped and neglected until after reunification. During the construction of residential housing and other buildings on the site in 1988–89 several underground sections of the old bunker complex were uncovered by work crews and were for the most part destroyed.

The former Chancellery was situated at the corner of Wilhelmstraße and Voßstraße. Other parts of the Chancellery underground complex were uncovered during extensive construction work in the 1990s, but these were ignored, filled in, or quickly resealed.

............so there.

?

Amateur vid of the Bunker site today
    Site of Hitler's bunker (Führerbunker) today - YouTube

As for guided tours inside a buried and flooded bunker in commie death zone ..... hardly!!

?

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Ed

I wonder if it would have all been destroyed had the American/British/French forces been able to seize hold of the bunker, etc, much like the Eagle's Nest.

?

No matter who claimed ownership of that sorry piece of real estate at any given time, they would all have been deadly afraid of having a potential neo-nazi shrine on their hands.
    Western 'democracies' more so than the rather more ruthless regimes on the other side of the wall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast