Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Interesting article about 1st World War Anzac forces and current commemorations

Article about: In today's Melbourne Herald-Sun newspaper.... Bob

That's a disgrace a bloody big disgrace.
    The lads went to war "For King and Country" and this is how they are remembered.
    LEST WE FORGET.
    Not good at all. No mention of Canada in the clipping though but I guess their in the same boat as us.
    A sad sad thing

Dave

C'mon, 100 years Anniversary!!! That's a century for crying out loud!

I was born during the British ruled Hong Kong, and I feel more than sad to read such article.

I have no word to describe......

Taka

I don't believe for one second that the average Brit feels this at all, no way at all. I am sure they feel the exact indignation that we feel, I have a great deal of time for the UK, the decisions made by governments often don't reflect the wishes of the people. I've no doubt this is one such instance.

Seriously for me it's a "What Ever" Our history is written, LEST WE FORGET

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    I don't believe for one second that the average Brit feels this at all, no way at all. I am sure they feel the exact indignation that we feel, I have a great deal of time for the UK, the decisions made by governments often don't reflect the wishes of the people. I've no doubt this is one such instance.
    From a British perspective, I can't say that it surprises me. IMO, as a nation we seem reluctant to view the First World War as anything but a European conflict. I am sure that someone up in the higher echelons will insist on commemorating the ANZAC contribution, at least I hope so.

What is more troubling to me is that WW1 is not viewed as a global conflict as it should be. I read an article in a national paper saying what a fuss the government was going to make about the "sideshows" of the War, although the article only mentioned Gallipoli, which I think it is fair to say, has had plenty of coverage. What about the campaigns in Mesopotamia, Macedonia, Africa (and thats just the British contribution!). The point is that I believe the British psyche, even after a century, is reluctant to shake deeply entrenched traditional opinions of the First World War.

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Spot on Dave most of us never forget the losses of your country,here's the proof the "Fovant Badges"carved into the Wiltshire hills by Aussie hands,enjoy...............
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Politics and Politicians ......... Both might as well be from Mars

With respect,

Best close the thread now ... what needs to be aired, has been aired.

Gary J.

Just like to add this is the first I have heard of this?

Disgraceful if true.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Sensationalist agenda driven drivel in the Aussie tabloid press, for fecks sake I struggle to understand why so many rise to the crassness of this and especially those who feel the need to equate it with the recent Ashes series.

Paul Madden, the British High Commissioner to Australia

"Your report suggesting Britain will playdown the role of Aussie diggers in World War 1 is completely incorrect.. . .
    Britain fully recognises the sacrifice made by the Anzacs in World War 1 and we understand and respect the importance of the Anzac spirit in the national consciousness of Australia and New Zealand.
    PM Cameron has said "I am committed to ensuring that our centenary commemoration properly recognise Commonwealth contributions and the sacrifice they made."
    Our two governments have been working closely together on plans for World War 1 commemorations. These will recognise the role of the Anzacs at Gallipoli and on the Western Front.
    The Gallipoli centenary in April 2015 will of course be marked in London as well as at Gallipoli and across Australia.
    The minister responsible for Britain's World War 1 centenary commemorations, Dr Andrew Morrison, MP, visited Australia last October to discuss plans with his Australian counterpart Senator Michael Ronaldson. I and my team at the High Commission in Canberra have been working closely with the Anzac Centenary Advisory Board, the Australian War Memorial and the Department of Veterans Affairs."
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2