Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Items you have missed.

Article about: All of my items i have given away, or sold for a fraction of the "value", is another collectors/former friends "happy-story". Thats the way i see it. And it is always nic

Default Items you have missed.

Hello. I always wanted to see what other's have messed up on and missed out on. What was your biggest mistake in collecting militiaria? Mine was when I had went to a flea market and saw a German helmet. I had thought nothing of it but now I regret it even though it was all rusty and looked like it was going to crack in half at any moment.

Default Re: Items you have missed.

I regret not joining this site sooner, i wouldn't have bought a fake Waffen ss, wehrmacht and prussian buckle if i had. Such is life!...

I've "missed" several great deals from antiques, vets, flea markets, etc. etc. but one which drives me mad to this day is an ss Allgemeine great coat for sale on Theruptureduck! Fair price (five thousand usd), nothing I won't see again, but still haven't found one yet. It wasn't on his site more than 24hr before I contacted him. I hesitated to insure myself I had the funds(and no bills on the way). When I did receive an email back, he explained it was sold and not only that but he could have sold it six more times before I contacted him. It was only 24hrs!!!!!! Hate even thinking about it.

I can imagine that. I would feel so down that I wouldn't even think about WW2 for days!

I regret having sold off my prior two collections piece by piece and being ignorant of market value...and not listening to my (German) mother and keeping it all...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by kylesbullets View Post
    Hello. I always wanted to see what other's have messed up on and missed out on. What was your biggest mistake in collecting militiaria? Mine was when I had went to a flea market and saw a German helmet. I had thought nothing of it but now I regret it even though it was all rusty and looked like it was going to crack in half at any moment.
    I regretted buying an 1870 EKII only because I was offered the next day--a near mint complete Double Decal Sauerland Helmet and didnt have the money for it since I bought the EK. It was offered to me by a German dealer I still buy from because I had been a good customer of his. He offered it to me for $500 and I had to refuse it for lack of funds. It was later bid on and sold for $2,500 :-((

Actually, lack of funds isnt fully truthful. I HAD the money but didnt feel like spending another $500 on militaria that month.

?

Carl you were probably better off with the 1870 EK mate as the chances of the Sauerland being real are slim at least you know the EK is good !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

regrets I have a few to many to mention,but the one that stands out was selling a knights cross that I had the full history on,given to my father by a naval officer for food ect. for his wife and baby.complete with the urkunde.I sold it to help with the support of our baby.may it help many more babies in this hard world.

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Carl you were probably better off with the 1870 EK mate as the chances of the Sauerland being real are slim at least you know the EK is good !!
    Agreed! You surely had a lucky escape there. Sauerland helmets were not DD as well.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Agreed! You surely had a lucky escape there. Sauerland helmets were not DD as well.
    Yup, only single decal and I also almost bought a fake one but once again Paul, you saved me! There is probably a 1 in a million chance of getting a real sauerland.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast