MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"It's fake".

Article about: Two words which are really annoying. I'm talking about the replies to questions that consist of those two words. Why is it fake? How do you know it's fake? Why should I take your opinion at

?

Default "It's fake".

Two words which are really annoying.

I'm talking about the replies to questions that consist of those two words.

Why is it fake?

How do you know it's fake?

Why should I take your opinion at face value?

If it's fake, please elaborate on the reasons you've come to your conclusion. There is no point in just making that flat, bland statement. There must be a reason you'e come to that conclusion.

When someone asks for thoughts, please try and expand, not everyone knows why it's a fake, not everyone knows the difference between real and fake, not everyone is familiar with the nuances that determine an original. It makes no difference what item we're talking about, what country or what era. We are here to help people, educate each other and discuss these things.

Those two words help no-one. Please take a bit more time and give some more details, back up your opinion.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: "It's fake".

My sentiments exactly. Sometimes I think it's just to boost "ones" posts. Stewy

?

Finally someone said it. This forum has been nothing but a blessing since I joined, but coming from someone who is an amateur in this hobby these two words do little to help me or anyone else learn what to look for in legitimate/fake pieces.

?

Or at least send a PM to the one that's posting. Because if you explane in the thread why it's fake, fakers can take advantage from it!

Quote by KRISSE View Post
    Or at least send a PM to the one that's posting. Because if you explane in the thread why it's fake, fakers can take advantage from it!
    Indeed, but you don't who you're PM-ing. That's the problem. Stewy

All true, of course, but in many many cases, it's sheer tediousness to pedantically spell out point by point over and over again. In most cases, we try to include a quick reason, such as "The head of the eagle is awfully shaped" or "Looks way too newly made", etc. but in many cases, it's just a matter of common sense. Look around on the Forum here and compare your example to known Genuines. When you're discussing a multi thousand dollar item, then, of course, a person will roll up their sleeves and get deeper into it. Personally, for me, it almost sounds rude to tell someone "Go compare it to the examples here" and alot of posters perceive such an answer in just that way. It's almost a lose-lose situation. You can either laboriously spell out bit by bit why a 2 dollar pin is not genuine or you can say, "No, it's not good. It's new" and incur the displeasure of the person asking and thinking you're being flippant. If anyone, Ade, himself, does this almost exclusively...(Hey now...quit looking at that Ban button, Ade...lol)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Too often I feel that I go conking on with an answer that goes on for far too long! By the time i've finished it I sit back and think "Bloody hell.....It's War and Peace!!" I must try and find some middle ground methinks....Bugger, i'm starting off on one again....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I agree about explaining the reason why one thinks ones item is fake and I also don't want to have the fakers know the secrets either. You don't have to give ALL the evidence it's a fake. Just one that most people already know. There's always certain subtleties that the fakers will never perfect.
    -update-
    Adrian, thanks for posting this sticky. I feel we need another regarding people who come here just wanting to know " the value " of their item. What do you guys think.

?

Quote by Dean View Post
    Adrian, thanks for posting this sticky. I feel we need another regarding people who come here just wanting to know " the value " of their item. What do you guys think.
    I got that one covered here Dean.

You don't have to go into great depths of explanation unless it's needed but a simple couple of lines will suffice in most cases. If you can add a link to an existing thread that covers the subject all well and good, it might encourage more use of the search button. If you have an original example of whatever the subject is, post it for comparison. Anything is better than those two words and that's it.

Some people just come out with those words and don't even reply when asked to explain, just a "It's fake" and then no more contribution. That really is a waste of time and an absolutely pointless comment.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Too often I feel that I go conking on with an answer that goes on for far too long! By the time i've finished it I sit back and think "Bloody hell.....It's War and Peace!!" I must try and find some middle ground methinks....Bugger, i'm starting off on one again....
    I personally would commend you - among others, Ned, for the manner in which you clarify faults with items that have been posted. Writing out a lengthy reply takes time, yet it benefits others who in turn, take the time to read and learn what is before them. Adrian's thread addresses an issue that affects every single member. Whether you are a newcomer or closing in on expert status, there are always things to learn. Learning and sharing is what makes the forum what it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast