Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

KKK collecting

Article about: With both TR an KKK items it is purely down to the motivation of those who collect them. Personally I don't have an issue with people collecting KKK items as long as they are for historical

With both TR an KKK items it is purely down to the motivation of those who collect them. Personally I don't have an issue with people collecting KKK items as long as they are for historical purposes only. The same as I don't mind people collecting TR stuff. As long as they are not going to incite racial or political hatred then its all good.

Similarly I am personally not in favor of hunting, however I don't have a problem with people who collect old traps etc.

It does raise some quite complex arguments. However the KKK is, like it or not, part of the history of the USA. And although I totally object to their beliefs, I believe artifacts from that organisation can be used to educate, just as SS items can.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I am pretty sure that the headstone mentioned dated from before WWI and would have been from the deep south.

I am not sure how active the KKK is these days in the states, not something I hear mentioned. Both my wife's parents were civil rights activists in the 50's & 60's, even though her mother was from the deep south and her maternal ancestors had fought for the south during the civil war. Mind you they had also fought against the British during the revolution.
    What passes for the KKK is alive and well. Today they use different names now such as The White Southern Knights and other stupid monikers. But they still wear their clown suits and burn their crosses out in cattle pastures. Racism is still alive and well.
    You know what 200 legs and 8 rotten teeth ? A KKK meeting.

?

Personally, I don't collect the stuff but don't judge those who do. Not that I agree with it, but to each his own.

I live in Pennsylvania and a lot of the antique places I go to have items such as what Big Ned posted up for sale. I've on more than one occasion seen antique and newer KKK uniforms being offered for sale on a sellers table or in their shop.

With that said, the KKK is not just a Southern organization, although obviously this is where they are/were most prevalent.

I grew up in a neighborhood in Philadelphia, PA known as Olney that in the latter half of last century became predominantly black. Philly itself, however, is a melting pot of races.

In 1999, a black resident in the neighborhood awoke one morning to find a cross burning on his front lawn. Witnesses said they saw a man in a white robe light the fire and drive off on a motorcycle.

If you lived/grew up in the area, you'd find it very strange when this happened, especially in this city let alone this neighborhood.

Not to say it was the KKK, however certainly has the tell-tale signs of it. The organization does not exist in Philly as far as I know but I believe there are chapters in PA. Very possible one of the members drove here and did this to make a statement.

For anyone interested, article at the link below:

Unlikely Hate Target Cross-burning Victim Is Blind, Lives In Integrated Neighborhood - Philly.com

Quote by SteveR View Post
    What passes for the KKK is alive and well. Today they use different names now such as The White Southern Knights and other stupid monikers. But they still wear their clown suits and burn their crosses out in cattle pastures. Racism is still alive and well.
    You know what 200 legs and 8 rotten teeth ? A KKK meeting.
    Thanks Steve for the update. Sadly racism is alive all around the world and is not just a white southern USA problem.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

KKK, New Black Panthers, Aryan Nation, Al Qaeda, ect, ect, and so one.

All hate mongers that feel justified in their extremist bullsh!t!
    Regards,
    John

Wow great topic, I have seen the KKK items in the past on brents site and It made me reflect on collecting TR items, I agree with just about every post here and a lot of people took the words out of my mouth on the subject, I will just say it all comes down to the reasoning behind the collection, I collect all kinds/countries military items for the sake of respecting and preserving history no matter how glorious or evil it has been, and not for spreading hate or glorifying negative political/social beliefs, you have to put some faith and hope into the people on the outside looking in that they understand and can respectfully agree or disagree with your collection, anyone who doesn't understand that IMO falls under the same category of ignorant narrow minded people that belonged to these groups in the first place. If I was a major collector or U.S history then having at least one item representing the KKK would be in my collection, it is not something you can or should hide. It is history, and most of us learn from it.

I would like to add that such memorabilia is increasingly sought after by many African-American collectors today as well...The old stuff, that is...
    cheers, Glenn

All that needs to be said has been IMHO and time to close this down, it was interesting IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3