Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

The Korean War Memorial and Demilitarized Zone

Article about: Hi, all. I spent quite a bit of time in Korea this past year and I managed to make it out to the DMZ and the War Memorial in Seoul. Here are some pictures and a bit of commentary. Enjoy! ~To

?

Default The Korean War Memorial and Demilitarized Zone

Hi, all. I spent quite a bit of time in Korea this past year and I managed to make it out to the DMZ and the War Memorial in Seoul. Here are some pictures and a bit of commentary. Enjoy! ~Tony

20.jpg
    19.jpg
    This is Dorasan Station, the last stop on the Korean Rail system. If the country were united it would continue on to Pyeongyang, but as it is, it's a dead end.

18.jpg
    The North Korean flag flying over Gijeongdong, more commonly known as "Propaganda Village." According to the South Korean soldier at the lookout, the North claims this village is a collective farm. In reality, observation suggests the buildings are uninhabited shells. Until 2004, buildings here had loudspeakers that blared DPRK propaganda. The flag pole is one of the world's tallest and the flag itself one of the world's largest. The flag's estimated weight is about 600lbs.

17.jpg16.jpg15.jpg14.jpg13.jpg12.jpg
    The Joint Security Area at the DMZ. One DPRK soldier outside, surely many more peeping through the windows. The South Korean guards have to be at least six feet tall and have a black belt in some kind of martial art, usually Taekwondo or Judo.

11.jpg10.jpg9.jpg8.jpg7.jpg6.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg5.jpg1.jpg

The War Memorial of Korea. There is an extensive indoor museum, but I didn't take any pictures inside.

Some great photos of a much Not talked about war zone! Thanks for posting!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Fantastic Tony Great pictures Thank you Kindly

looking at the statues I guess we brits were not there.ho um.

?

Harry, the statues depict only Korean soldiers. However, as you can see from the picture of the courtyard, the flags of all the nations in the UN forces are represented, and the Union Jack is proudly among them. Indeed, the flags of the US and the UK are at the front of the line along with the Taeguki and UN flag, demonstrating that those two countries were the largest foreign contributors to the effort. Korean soldiers are understandably the main focus, but having been through it, I don't believe anyone's effort is unfairly overshadowed. It really is a nice museum and I wish I would have taken some pictures inside. Many more militaria-related exhibits featuring uniforms and medals and such.

Interesting photos and thanks for posting!..

interesting.thanks for posting them