Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Lawrence of Arabia Desert camp

Article about: Secret desert camp used by Lawrence of Arabia is discovered intact with rum jars and a campfire Secret desert camp used by First World War hero Lawrence of Arabia is discovered intact with r

?

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    Lawrence is a truly fascinating character. At age 16 to did a bicycle tour of the mid east sketching crusader castles. I hope there's more info on this article.
    Nigel,

I see that you have T.E. Lawrence on his Brough Superior as your avatar - is he a special interest of yours?

Regards,

Philip

Yep, long time aficionado.

I read once that visitors to his little cottage were horrified to see him pull out a roll of his belly fat and drive a bayonet through it. I think he and Paddy Mayne were very similar characters in many ways. Fearless loner's.

?

Quote by canti44 View Post
    I read once that visitors to his little cottage were horrified to see him pull out a roll of his belly fat and drive a bayonet through it.
    The photos of Lawrence make me doubt that he had any belly fat! He looks like a man who lived on tea and adrenaline.

?

.....and speed.
    He enjoyed his Brough Superior. I belive he had several different ones through time - seven or eight in fact. Mr. Lesgate might confirm.
    Lawrence lived .....and died on a Brough. I believe, the bike riding was somehow an escape from the demons haunting him.
    Not only being a vintage bike afficionado, I find T.E. Lawrence interesting.
    He was in many ways a tragic figure.
    I heartedly recommend 'Seven Pillars of Wisdom.'
    In lieu of pics from Mr. Lawrence's camp site, here a few of my favourites:
    Attached Images Attached Images

He may have gotten a little paunchy in his 40's. Guests at the cottage sometimes were offered a can of meat as that seems to be what T.E. had in his larder. Much has been written about him and the post mortem continues to this day. His brother said after T.E's death that he thought he was asexual. He had a crush on a girl around 1911, a Janet Laurie whom he asked to marry. She said no and that was it for Lawrence. To his brothers knowledge no more interest in girls or anybody!

Very fine shots of the Brough!.....fastest bike for its day. Ended up being the end for him.

Hi Scout,

Nice matching photos of GW 2275 then and now.

Cheers!
    Taka

Some tidbits from my archives....books and art.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Lawrence related collections, Nigel.

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers!
    Taka

Love the line drawing!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast