Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Letting our imaginations run wild? ....... be honest!

Article about: I do too, I look for newer items that still look like the originals and wear them while hunting, or walking through the woods in the summer. I have a west german and east german set of LBE t

Default Letting our imaginations run wild? ....... be honest!

So - who’s a big kid trapped in an adults body? ……. surely we are not always serious-faced collectors all of the time?
    Immersing ourselves as we do in events of decades past HAS to inextricably draw our imaginations back to that time - whether we like it or not!

Many collectors also participate in living history events purely for the benefit of preserving history, right? .... or fire antique guns at the range only to stop them from rusting up ....yeah?

A short time back I bought some ordnance tan 6 x 30 dienstglas off Jerry B in the UK and truth be known, they are up among my top 10 purchases this year – I love them! So much so, that because of the good optics and the reticle scale in the right lense I am finding they are great to actually use rather than just sit on my display shelf. My, how the mind wanders as one looks through the very same lenses as some NCO did years ago….. is that dust on the horizon Russian armour???? …. and what is that noise I hear? … definitely the clattering of tank tracks! ……

C’mon people, fess up …. Who hasn’t donned a helmet or uniform in secret and imagined ourselves way back then? Young or old - we all can have fun and let our imaginations loose – not just ruminate about an item whilst huddled in our studies muttering ……“we wants it, we needs it …….…. MY PRECIOUS”

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Default Re: Letting our imaginations run wild? ....... be honest!

I hear ya! Waddaya think I do with my binoculars and helmets, huh? And I play Silent Hunter as well. Awesome lil game.

It would be easy to forget that there once were living warm bodies behind and in our gear, but collecting becomes so much more fun and interesting when you get to use your imagination and in that way become a part of the history.

And, I actually sniff my hats and helmets. Even the Kriegsmarine flag. I hope I am not the only one.

But yes...... We wants it, yes we does.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

Its been a while since I had the time, but I, like Christina before me, have spent plenty of hours on patrol with SHIII. I have to dim the lights, and there is always a pot of fine grade coffee to keep me going through the lousy winter weather in the North Atlantic...

When that cry of "ALAAAAARRRMMM!!!" rings out, my reactions sharpen (probably due to all the caffeine!), and I get to periscope depth as soon as possible, ready to play cat and mouse with another destroyer screen...

In reality, I was privileged to enjoy several tours on the U-534, which I believe is still the only U-Boat raised from the bottom, that was of course before they decided to cut her up...so they were fantastic experiences as one can imagine.

When I stop and think about it, I consider myself very fortunate indeed. Due to our work, which involves much travel throughout vast areas of the former Reich, I am regularly able to keep in touch with history. Many of you know about my KL related work and studies, so this area in particular patently challenges the senses. It would be impossible not to be affected by these locales of terror. Whenever I am back at our home, walking the streets or riding the trams of the former Protektorat Bohmen und Mahren, I am often drifting back through time in my mind to those famous events so many years ago...sometimes I almost feel there...almost...

Regards,

Carl

Hah Carl! I know that feeling too well. You sit there, in the darkness, scouting for British or American destroyers as your anxiety level goes up, up, up. One finger on the trigger... You keep peeking in the periscope, and suddenly... ALAAAAAAAAAAAARM.... and the squirky sound of a lovely German VIIC diving is all over your ears. Oh, I love that stuff.
    Personally, I am kind of biased, but the grey beautiful sea monsters were really something. Only four left now, or is it five, I cant remember. I try to visit my lil baby down in Kiel (U 995, former front boat in 1944 and post-war school boat in Norwegian navy up until the sixties when she returned back home to Germania) as often as I can. When I enter the torpedo room, I know I am home.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

?

Your signature says it all Chris...

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Forgot to add, simply must use headphones...

Quote by Stinschen View Post
    I hear ya! Waddaya think I do with my binoculars and helmets, huh? And I play Silent Hunter as well. Awesome lil game.

It would be easy to forget that there once were living warm bodies behind and in our gear, but collecting becomes so much more fun and interesting when you get to use your imagination and in that way become a part of the history.

And, I actually sniff my hats and helmets. Even the Kriegsmarine flag. I hope I am not the only one.

But yes...... We wants it, yes we does.
    Ah yes - the smell ....( it is what FB calls his "foetid woolens" )
    Along with 'napalm in the morning' we love the musty smell that only old organic material has .......mmm ( no Chris, you are NOT the only sniffer! )
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Video games, reenacting, little green and tan army men, you name it. Since I was a little kid I have been obsessed with warfare. When I was little I did this war game with pennies and nickels, pretending they were soldiers and having them fight for islands (blankets on the floor).

I have had the occasional moment with my militaria. When I got my first Mosin Nagant, I remember storming around my house like I was in Stalingrad. In school I once donned my Vietnam War, ERDL camo M1 helmet, whipped out my Ipod, and played 'Fortunate Son'. I then proceeded to throw grenades (Gatorade bottles) at Charlie, a friend of mine.

School was a good time.

Mo, any chance of a few photographs? That sounds awesome, my kind of school!
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Guilty

I've worn everything that has come my way with the exception of medals and some helmets that were too small. I frequently wear my M1 or CD helmet when I game... or lounging about the house... or doing homework... I wear them a lot actually. Then again I never really was right in the head, so it's not surprising.

John

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast