Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A Little Investment...

Article about: Hello folks. A bit of an unorthodox post this evening. For a long time, I have considered my photography skills to be sub-par at best, not helped by having to work with the built-in camera i

Default A Little Investment...

Hello folks.

A bit of an unorthodox post this evening. For a long time, I have considered my photography skills to be sub-par at best, not helped by having to work with the built-in camera in my tablet. I have been meaning to invest in a proper camera for a long time, but have been putting it off continuously. I decided to go another route instead, and invested just £10 in one of these. A small, cheap portable light box for the photographer on the go.

IMG_2151[1].jpg

Having only paid a small amount of money for it, I expected the results to be underwhelming at best. I was pleasantly surprised to find this was not the case! It turns out that sometimes, a little investment can have a big payoff. I'd recommend this to any collector looking to improve the quality of their photography. It's small and pretty flimsy, but does wonders when it comes to taking pictures of smaller items.

Below are a few items from my collection photographed using this light box. It really brings out every little scratch, and every speck of rust. So maybe not the best investment for those who collect 'minty' items!

IMG_2072[1].jpgIMG_2114[1].jpgIMG_2118[1].jpgIMG_2127[1].jpg

Regards, B.B.

MAP
    ?

Very nice photos BB. This little one really seems to throw off a lot of light which is key. Looks perfect for awards and small items.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Very nice photos BB. This little one really seems to throw off a lot of light which is key. Looks perfect for awards and small items.
    It really is a shame it's not larger. Pistols just about fit, but anything bigger will need a bigger box. They do exist in larger sizes (and at significantly higher prices) but considering how cheap this one was I'm more than happy with it!

B.B.

Looking really good, but 2 of the standards are still Michael and Kirk among a few others. LOL

I like seeing people making investments in the hobby to better the overall appeal and to showcase their wonderful collections. Great job.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

good results, have you got a link BB?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    It really is a shame it's not larger. Pistols just about fit, but anything bigger will need a bigger box. They do exist in larger sizes (and at significantly higher prices) but considering how cheap this one was I'm more than happy with it!

B.B.
    I've have large and small versions. The small ones I'M HOME produce better results, but are not good for helmets or large items

The large light boxes are great but their weakness is the lights are often not strong enough. I had to supplement it with additional lights.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    I've have large and small versions. The small ones I'M HOME produce better results, but are not good for helmets or large items

The large light boxes are great but their weakness is the lights are often not strong enough. I had to supplement it with additional lights.
    When it comes to larger items, I can just wait for a sunny day and lay a white sheet out on the grass. Try as I might, I don't think I'll ever fit an MG34 into a light box!

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    good results, have you got a link BB?
    Here's where I got it from: Double Mini LED Portable Photo Studio Photography Light Tent Backdrop Cube Box 6952436186305 | eBay

Seems it's actually only £7.39, with free postage to boot!

Regards, B.B.

I bought one similar to this, it really does help with the smaller items and a soft light. I just have to practice more with the macro lens lol

?

It's really a great idea for small items. I'm always running around chasing natural light to get good pics. Thanks for posting.

Having just joined, I can say that any post on better ways to photograph an item of interest is welcome. I really like helping others, but taking good pictures of a find is crucial. Forced perspective or dramatic shots just arren't the way to make good identifications. Clear, high definition, well lit, straight on shots are the way to go. When seeking answers or translations of documents, make sure they are straight, flat, and also well lit. Best to scan them so that the document is not handled too often, helping preserve them for the future.

End of soap box.