Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

A little ramble on about nothing really

Article about: Once in a while I climb my soapbox and stand for what I believe. Over the last month or so I have been reading threads saying “is this real” etc: etc: etc : I believed for a long time that m

Default A little ramble on about nothing really

Once in a while I climb my soapbox and stand for what I believe.
    Over the last month or so I have been reading threads saying “is this real” etc: etc: etc :
    I believed for a long time that most forums were good, and some very good, as the knowledge passed from collector to collector can be invaluable, and listening to the arguments for and against can yield some good answers, of course there is no substitute for handling any item, and determining the authenticity of a piece can at times be just a personal opinion, especially from crappy photographs!
    I know there are some very good collectors, and dealers that post opinions on this forum, but what I cannot abide by any means is when someone posts an opinion and quotes something like
    “I don’t collect SS cloth/Helmets/Badges blah blah , but even I don’t like it”
    Hello!!!! ………………….If you don’t collect it and have no knowledge of the item, then don’t comment on it, it’s as simple as that!
    I don’t post on a lot of topics because it’s either because I don’t know enough to form any opinion, or I just don’t know full stop!

Personally I have been involved with 3rd Reich memorabilia since 1972, yes it’s a long time, and no I am not an “expert” (an ex, as in someone’s a has been, and a “spurt” as in a drip under pressure) But I do have an understanding of how things were put together, I have owned some very rare examples of TR memorabilia and still own a good selection of items, having sold a lot to pay for a divorce some years ago, and being ex military I know that anything can go as far as personal equipment that is carried by the individual, So never rule anything out because it is not “Textbook” and what the hell is “textbook" anyway??
    If you’re buying something and your gut instinct is that it’s not right, then walk away.
    Which brings me to my last point ………………………….
    If I choose not to divulge why I think it’s wrong, then I don’t have to explain myself. You can’t teach someone the little tricks writing it down. Study original pieces and learn from them!
    That does not mean that I do not have an informed opinion on it, it means that what I have learnt over 35 odd years cannot be summed up in a small sentence, and if someone of an early age tells me that they have the experience of advanced collectors by reading books then I’m sorry, I am not going to explain my opinion on that item.
    Yes I have got it wrong a couple of times, no one is faultless, but I count myself as level headed when it comes to TR collecting, buy the item not the story
    I will not be questioned by someone that has just come out of nappies. This stems further back than recent posts,
    So there you have it………………….. JB’s take on the world and all who live in it

Default Re: A little ramble on about nothing really

John leave that jack daniels alone

Quote by 85ronnies View Post
    John leave that jack daniels alone

I was hoping to have seen you down at W&P.

Your mate tipped up, bought a lovely Lufty officers cap from me

A perfectly reasoned letter concerning opinions. On another site there is a member who seems to insist that because he has never seen a particular badge being worn during his time in the army it never existed. Also there are a lot of "guessers " on most sites which is not a helpfull responce to someone who is looking for a correct i.d. anyrate well done for flaging up this problem. John.

?

agreed!

John

I totally understand and agree with you. Saying 'I don't know anything about them BUT......' is equivalent of saying 'So you pull this pin out and hold the round metal thing against your chest right ?'.

Steve T