Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Looks interesting!....

Article about: The Third Reich revisited: The war generation | The Economist I going to keep my eye out for this on DVD.

Default Re: Looks interesting!....

I watched all three parts when they were aired on TV.

I must admit I initially had no great expectations for it and had halfway expected it ot be just another hollow made-for-TV "event movie" (like the one on the Wilhelm Gustloff sinking from a few years back) or soapy melodrama (like the recent one on the Hotel Adlon), but was pleasently surprised and instantly hooked, even.

The three-parter follows the lives of five young Berliners, friends since childhood, through the war years of 1941 to 1945.

On the eve of the Russian campaign they meet up one last time to celebrate their friendship before their ways will part: Friedhelm, a young, sensitive man, has recently been called up for military service and is highly sceptical of the war. His older brother Wilhelm - clearly their father's favorite - is a promising young Lieutenant who had participated in the Polish and French campaigns. Having just finished her training as a Red Cross nurse, the patriotic Charlotte has volunteered for war service in military hospitals. Pretty young Greta is an aspiring singer and Viktor, her boyfriend, is a Jewish tailor.

Soon, their lives are to change dramatically: Friedhelm and Wilhelm face the hardships and dangers of Eastern Front combat and the Russian winter, witness the uncompromising brutality of both sides and are confronted with the nature of Hitler's race war first-hand. Charlotte has to deal with the woundeds' suffering and death on a daily basis. Viktor, having narrowly escaped the camps, will eventually find himself with Polish partisans, while Greta, exploiting an affair with a Gestapo officer - partly to try and help her boyfriend, but mostly to help her career - will be the one to rise the highest and fall the deepest.

All of them are profoundly changed by their experiences in very different ways and all of them will lose their innoncence. Not all of them will make it.

The film is very well made with excellent production values and a universally strong cast down to the smallest supporting roles.

It only has a few very minor weaknesses: Occasionally, cliché creeps in and the last part stretches credibility a bit by employing two highly unlikely chance encounters of two long-separated characters. Still, it's very good and, were it not for those minor flaws, could have been truly great.

I would definitely recommend it.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 03-28-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Just watched the first 90 minutes on you Tube ! Excellent stuff !!

Watch out for the SD Sturmbahnfuhrer child executioner....nasty!!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

It would be better if I could understand what they are saying.

I am 3 hours in now ! It just gets better! A superior drama !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I've just watched parts 1 and 2, very well made and 3 hours flew by!...

Need to see the last hour ! Its not on You Tube ! Gutted

Nick

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Need to see the last hour ! Its not on You Tube ! Gutted

Nick
    It is Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter. i've just finished watching it and i'm well impressed, only spoilt by the last 5 minutes which was a bit corny!....

Distribution rights for the USA (and various other countries) have been sold:

MIPTV: Music Box Picks up 'Generation War' for U.S. - The Hollywood Reporter

There was an article in the Daily Mail today about the series. It seems to have upset some of our eastern european neighbours, who do not like the way the partisans were depicted as being anti-semetic. I think that perhaps many countries are still finding it difficult to admit to their own part in the persecution of the jews.

?

Last week there was a scandal here in Holland. It turned out that when the jews that survived the holocaust return to amsterdam had to pay taxes over the time that the where in camps. It was tax for housing and if that wasn't ironic enough there same house where occupied by NSB and germans during the war. It's still a taboo here to speak or learn about the way we treadet the returning jews after the war and one thing is for sure....there where not welcome at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast