Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Lost in translation

Article about: Hey guys, I recently had a post adjusted ( by a mod or administrator or maybe automatic correction, I'm not sure ) to change a word I used that was presumably deemed inappropriate. I wont us

Default Lost in translation

Hey guys, I recently had a post adjusted ( by a mod or administrator or maybe automatic correction, I'm not sure ) to change a word I used that was presumably deemed inappropriate. I wont use it again in case it happens a second time but it was an Australian slang term for a stupid person or a 'dill' ( that's another Aussie term ) but which obviously had a more offensive meaning in other parts of the world.

No problems, I'll watch what I type next time but it got me thinking how words we use can have different meanings to another from a foreign ( to us ) land. A well known and respected member here signs off with the German toast " PROST" ........ or Cheers / good health .... which makes my Romanian colleague laugh because PROST in his language means "silly or stupid" ....... OOPS!!!

So, being such a multicultural forum, I guess we better keep the local vernacular, phrases and idioms to ourselves or we might start an international incident!

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    So, being such a multicultural forum, I guess we better keep the local vernacular, phrases and idioms to ourselves or we might start an international incident!
    Dan
    Good point, Dan

...and I have refrained from closing this thread for being non-militaria related because it is a reminder that this is a multicultural forum where one man's humour can be another man's insult.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Oops, sorry Stefan, move it to the gold members forum if needed.

Thanks, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Good point, Dan.
    We all know the word the Americans use when they're barracking for someone. It can cause a few raised eyebrows in our part of the world.

I struck another example recently on a Yahoo group, where an Australian had described a particular military aerobatic team as a flash mob. A European gentleman was a little bit put out as he thought the context was that of a low class, unruly, rabble. He didn't realise that any category of animal, vegetable or mineral in numbers of three or more is referred to as a mob in Australia. So he missed the point that the Australian was paying a compliment.

A bit like the old song about the tomatoes.

Cheers, Willie.

What a drongo!

...nuff said
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.