Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Louis Zamperini, hero of Angelina Jolie's new movie, dies at 97

Article about: image.jpg LOS ANGELES (AP) Louis Zamperini, an Olympic distance runner and World War II veteran who survived 47 days on a raft in the Pacific after his bomber crashed, then endured two years

Default Louis Zamperini, hero of Angelina Jolie's new movie, dies at 97

image.jpg

LOS ANGELES (AP) Louis Zamperini, an Olympic distance runner and World War II veteran who survived 47 days on a raft in the Pacific after his bomber crashed, then endured two years in Japanese prison camps, has died. He was 97.

Zamperini's death was confirmed by Universal Pictures studio spokesman Michael Moses. A family statement released early Thursday said Zamperini had been suffering from pneumonia.

He is the subject of Laura Hillenbrand's best-selling book Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption," which is being made into a movie directed by Angelina Jolie and is scheduled for a December release by Universal.

"After a 40-day long battle for his life, he peacefully passed away in the presence of his entire family, leaving behind a legacy that has touched so many lives," the family statement said. "His indomitable courage and fighting spirit were never more apparent than in these last days."

Rest in peace .

His obit in the Telegraph was really interesting, he even met Hitler at the 1936 Olympics, and it tells of his post war search for the sadistic Japanese guard who tortured him every day. A truly brave and inspiring man. Requiescat in pace.

Louis Zamperini - obituary - Telegraph

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

RIP sir!...

?

Thanks Big Ned for the obit. I look forward to seeing that movie.
    RIP Louis
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Anyone into reading should read "Unbroken". You can't put it down.

Nat is correct, I highly recommend 'unbroken' as the read of the week. Honor every vet you see.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Look forward to the movie .

On a side note , Louis had a quite a few WW2 German items in his collection , including the 1936 medals he won as a athlete . A documentary was filmed recently in his study showing the pieces .

I wonder if the family will end up keeping the collection or putting them out for the collector market? Hopefully the former.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

R.i.p.

preview released today,

shot in Australia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast