Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Malta on Holiday.

Article about: Hi Guys...Me and the wife are off to Malta in about 3 weeks for our holidays....we are staying in Melihia (sp) and might hire a car... Righty,. anyone know of a decent place or places to go

MAP
    ?

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    A week would do, but 10 days would be ideal

Its really only a small Island, a visit to Gozo is a bonus
    Thanks. Would 3 days be OK to hit some of the primary sites? Long story short. Next year Greece, (to visit the motherland...LoL) is probably on the agenda. In-Laws fly in from Asia and meet us there. If I can squeeze a two week vacation I'm looking for another place to visit...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Thanks. Would 3 days be OK to hit some of the primary sites? Long story short. Next year Greece, (to visit the motherland...LoL) is probably on the agenda. In-Laws fly in from Asia and meet us there. If I can squeeze a two week vacation I'm looking for another place to visit...
    You could spend 3 days in Valletta and the 3 cities

?

Hi Guys...Thanks for the replies...VERY much appreciated...

We went to Crete last year, and spent most of the time travelling by bus, which was'nt a great fun thing to do...so, this year, it's Malta...
    I'll def try the flea market, we are there for a week from Saturday...

I have already been in contact with the War Museum...my uncles best friend went out to Malta in 1942 aboard the USS Wasp with 601 sqdn made up of MkV Spitfires...he was only there 24 hours when he was shot down and baled out, the german turned and shot him to pieces under his canopy...I have a few pics of him while training with my uncle, and they want copies, seemingly they know about him, but I want to see what info they have if poss...his name was P/O Stan Brooker a Canadian who joined up before the war began...

+(107452) Stanley Frederick Brooker - 601 Sqn. - KIA April 21, 42, Regina, Sask. RIP.

Quote by Norrie View Post
    Hi Guys...Thanks for the replies...VERY much appreciated...

We went to Crete last year, and spent most of the time travelling by bus, which was'nt a great fun thing to do...so, this year, it's Malta...
    I'll def try the flea market, we are there for a week from Saturday...

I have already been in contact with the War Museum...my uncles best friend went out to Malta in 1942 aboard the USS Wasp with 601 sqdn made up of MkV Spitfires...he was only there 24 hours when he was shot down and baled out, the german turned and shot him to pieces under his canopy...I have a few pics of him while training with my uncle, and they want copies, seemingly they know about him, but I want to see what info they have if poss...his name was P/O Stan Brooker a Canadian who joined up before the war began...

+(107452) Stanley Frederick Brooker - 601 Sqn. - KIA April 21, 42, Regina, Sask. RIP.
    That also happened to Pilot Officer D C Leggo 20th March 1942

?

I emailed the Malta Aircraft Museum about Stan, and literally got this reply from the chairman a couple of hours ago...I couldnt believe it when I read it....

This has the makings of a fantastic trip...

"Hi Norrie,

You could have been the lottery! Only yesterday I met script writer who is writing the script for a proposed film on George Beurling and I mentioned Stanly Brooker to him as being another Canadian pilot who flew from Takali. Stan became a good friend of my mother’s family in Rabat, where he was billeted. They used to exchange a bowl of soup with a bar of chocolate. The day he died he met my mother and told her that he is off flying that day. He never came back.
    I shall look forward to meeting you soon.

Ray Polidano "

This is a picture taken in 1939, while at training... of Stan and Jackie, Stan is on the right..he went onto become a Battle oF Britain pilot.....

jackie and Stan.jpg

?

Hi Guys...Well, we are home...and only now fit to get back to normal, got food poisoning three days into the holiday..so our 7 night trip, turned out to be a 3 day trip, rest of the holiday spent in the room with frequent trips to the toilet....I was extremely well looked after by the hotel ,and the local doctors and nurses.....the last place we visited was the Aviation Museum, what a place...fantastic...had a sit in the Spitfire, and spent the whole morning with Ray the Museum Chairman, found out quite a bit about Stan Brooker as well, including the small fact, that even tho he's listed as 601 Sqdn, he was in fact , with 126 Sqdn...got a new photo of him with an American RAF pilot named Howard Coffin and their batman, a local chap.

The illness has def not put me off the island, a fantastic place, with somme of the most friendly people I have ever met...

I'll post some pics up in a wee while.

Its a fascinating and historic Island, where did you stay ???

?

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Its a fascinating and historic Island, where did you stay ???
    Hiya, Stayed in Melehia, in a rank rotten hotel...( Panorama Hotel ) tho, the staff were amazing...which was a surprise....VERY hilly area north of Valetta, and not far from Gozo,.. and only 200yds to the WW2 Shelter Tunnels, that started our holiday off well...

Quote by Norrie View Post
    Hiya, Stayed in Melehia, in a rank rotten hotel...( Panorama Hotel ) tho, the staff were amazing...which was a surprise....VERY hilly area north of Valetta, and not far from Gozo,.. and only 200yds to the WW2 Shelter Tunnels, that started our holiday off well...
    Wow that bad uh ? Doesn't look that bad on the photo's but one has to be careful in Malta for that very reason, looks can be deceiving ! Were the WW2 Shelter Tunnels in Melehia ? We went in the Air Raid Shelters at Vittoriosa, 3 Cities.
    We stayed in Valletta last year, loved it, so much history ! will go back there again

Did you visit Fort Campbell ? not far from Melehia

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2