Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Man arrested with relic munitions

Article about: There is a breaking story about a man in St Alban's, England, who has been arrested over theft of munitions from a former POW site. He is then found to have relic munitions in his house resu

Default Man arrested with relic munitions

There is a breaking story about a man in St Alban's, England, who has been arrested over theft of munitions from a former POW site. He is then found to have relic munitions in his house resulting in the whole area being closed off. It is not clear why there were unexploded munitions at a POW camp or wether or not any of the munitions involved here are actually dangerous, it may well turn out to be a big fuss about nothing. This kind of reaction from the police does cause me concern though, presumably they would do the same if they saw my war room (all my items are of course safe and legal). It is also interesting that they mention he may have been illegally digging abroad.

Heritage artefacts and First and Second World War munitions found following a warrant in St Albans - Hertfordshire Constabulary

GALLERY: Herts Police Search House In Connection With Theft Of WW1 and WW2 Items | Local News | News - BOB fm Home Counties - You'll hear all sorts of stuff....

Bomb scare: Second World War shells found in Windmill Avenue, St Albans (From St Albans & Harpenden Review)

I wonder if he was known to any on this forum?

It seems likely to be an over the top reaction with bomb disposal etc, but perhaps they know more than has been published.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

BBC TV news report.

BBC News - St Albans: War munitions found in Hertfordshire garage

and

WW1 machine gun found in man's garage - Telegraph

The telegraph report is typically ignorant and irresponsible. The Vickers gun shown will of course turn out to be deactivated and irrelevant to any criminal proceedings.

Pictures of the collection at

Bomb disposal experts descend on leafy residential street after report of unexploded wartime bomb... and find garage crammed full of WW2 shells and machine guns! | Mail Online
    Attached Images Attached Images

They're coming for us all!

Wouldn't want to keep my collection in the garage, I'd be concerned about the damp and rodents and theft and my wife driving the car in there

?

It never ends well when the police descend on things. Sometimes they're just bored because they haven't had anything to descend on in a while.

Looks like he had some good stuff including a black SS or dark blue KM visor, cuff rank tunic and lots of helmets etc....
    Regards,

Jerry

Its being reported that items are being destroyed in controlled explosions. I bet you anything they are blowing up harmless empty shells. (the cartridges shown here are clearly drilled) Its ironic that this is being driven by English Heritage on the basis that this man was destroying this countries historical heritage by illegally metal detecting- they are now blowing up historic artifacts. Of course we may never know the full facts (we certainly wont get them from the media) but that is my suspicion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by douglas2496; 09-17-2014 at 05:16 PM.

If I collected deacs or ordnance I would be very careful about whom I told that I had it, jeez this could happen to anyone who tells a friend or neighbor, or the postman or delivery man or builder etc... If he has been illegally detecting historic sites then they should seize it and prosecute him, but I assume -and hope- they are only destroying unsafe ordnance.
    Regards,

Jerry

I hope you are right Jerry, and of course illegal detecting on heritage sites is not acceptable. But I really do fear the same reaction from the police if they saw my entirely legally obtained collection.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    I hope you are right Jerry, and of course illegal detecting on heritage sites is not acceptable. But I really do fear the same reaction from the police if they saw my entirely legally obtained collection.
    Indeed Douglas, I doubt they ask many questions before they call the bomb squad and start blowing it up.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast